PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Idol fans?

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Any Idol fans?

I wonder if sucky singers can ever be good singers. Or if you need some natural talent to help out. Or if we're just screwed
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Pentax Forum Moderator

Frank Sinatra said it best, (paraphrase) If you're going to take up singing as a career, then you need to treat it like a career and work at it every day at least 8 hours a day. All of these people have talent and everyone of them need lots of lessons. A few could be ok classical musicians, especially Katherine and Paris. But none will ever reach the status of Andrea, (and yes...he is blind).
    I forget which one it was he had lay on the floor, Chris, I think, but that is one of the best ways to practice breathing correctly. It is said you can't breath wrong when laying on your back. Anyway, at this point...I think only Mandissa, Katherine and Paris would have gotten by last nights trial.
    But, Mandissa is gone! Oh well.............Another one bites the dust...tonight...KELLY KELLY KELLY KELLY KELLY KELLY...HEHEHEHE
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Oh I can sing well, but only when others aren't around ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Pentax Forum Moderator

Yeah...Kelly is finally gone!!!! Whats wrong with America...Paris in the bottom 2...sheesh...
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Boy...talk about lucky...We didn't have to hear her chop up "Unchained Melody" again!!! There is a God!! hahahahaha
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

That was unbelievable! How was Katherine in the top 2 and Paris in the bottom 2? America is in need of help!

Kelly wouldn't shut up either! She was hillarious to watch talking, but her singing was OK at best. I can't wait to see her in the reality show ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Frank Sinatra said it best, (paraphrase) If you're going to take up singing as a career, then you need to treat it like a career and work at it every day at least 8 hours a day. All of these people have talent and everyone of them need lots of lessons. A few could be ok classical musicians, especially Katherine and Paris. But none will ever reach the status of Andrea, (and yes...he is blind).
    You ain't kiddin'! =P

When I was in school for music, I'd spend anywhere between 6 to 12 hours a day (depending on my class schedule) just practicing. That didn't include any other playing (jams, gigs, ensemble rehearsals, etc.), just straight-up practicing. There were people at that school that practiced even more than I did, which is just nuts. I'm not trying to make it seem like these American Idol hopefuls suck compared to me. Rather, I'm saying this because I don't think any of them have ever truly practiced much beyond singing along to a few of their favorite songs on a wailing stereo. Imagine if they had been practicing several hours a day for a few years straight. I doubt some of them would even need American Idol to get a career.

Nikon Samurai #25

~~Tools of the Trade~~
    Nikon D50
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    50mm f/1.8D AF
    28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF AF
    Lensbaby 2.0
    Kodak Duaflex II

~~Stillsky Studio~~

Ken you guys must have AI several hours before we do. I accidently read your post about who got kicked off about an hour before it came on over here

I'm glad to see Kelly gone. FINALLY, I can say that all the contestants left in the competition deserve a recording contract! We thought maybe Kelly sang so bad they didn't let her sing her last song like everyone else

Paul, I agree. Paris should not have been bottom 2. Technically, based on his performance, Taylor should have.

It's tough to call from here on out. Who will be next? I call... Katherine or Elliott next. Based just on talent, not on how America will vote

What is next week's theme? So they pick their own songs again?
    Walter Rick Long

Yeah, Taylor is good at what he does(entertain), but love sings aren't his thing. He has talent, but isn't a strong singer compared to Paris (who has singing talent).

My GF said she heard on the radio today that Katherine's dress looked like drapes without the rod ;) Dude I swear she was going for the panties vote!

I agree Elliot needs to go , as does Katherine. I am sad to see Kelly leave because she was a riot to listen too. She obviously missed school alot and got by on the fact that she has teeth(yes that's a two tooth hick joke) ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Pentax Forum Moderator

Yeah Rick, we are 2 hours ahead of you, so I guess we'll have to start posting a few hours later to keep the surprise for you...I didn't realize it when I was posting the results...I guess I should have. Only one thing I don't understand...how can they see..."See it here, LIVE!!!" haha..It's got to be taped to someone!!!!
    hehehe
    Paul...hehe...she got my "panties" vote...I just wish I'd have had the VCR on at the time so I could replay it a few times...woohoo...of course, Kim will probably give me the evil eye when she reads this!!! hahahahaha
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Bump

I think you east coasters are watching it right now. I have another hour and a half till.

So who did we decide is leaving tonight?
    Walter Rick Long

No clear looser tonight as Catherine, Taylor and Elliot all did poorly to me. Paris did OK and Chris... well Chris was the best of the night.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Pentax Forum Moderator

I was shooting my son in laws softball game and missed it, so I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to see what happened. Wish they'd rerun it later...hehe for those of us who might have a life other than AI...hehe...
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken, there is no life after AI. There are only the days AI is on and the days we are waiting for AI to be on.

I agree with Paul about Katherine and Elliott doing poorly. But I think Taylor did well.

Elliott should go next, based on talent and not popularity. His vibrato (right word, Ken?) annoys me. He always sings technically clean though. HIs first song was not too bad.

Paris should be top three, probably top 2. Though she didn't clean house this week, she had the best vocal performances imo. Though she didn't do Mary J any credit in that second song.

Chris ROCKED in that first song yeah boy! But what was that second one?? Top 2 imo.

Katherine, so pretty, but so nervous and inconsistent. She could EASILY win based on charm and talent if she could just deliver every week!

Taylor rocks! He should be packing houses every night. Though he doesn't sing too well, he is the complete package!

The cool thing is, tonight they recorded messages for when you call to vote for them We're voting for Taylor, Chris and Paris to keep them alive.
    Walter Rick Long

That was plain wrong!

I give up on americas opinion because obviously we have no clue in this country!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Pentax Forum Moderator

'nuff said
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

By the way Paul...if Rick can't have your Nikon gear....CAN I????
    HEHE
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
    Walter Rick Long

I am still pissed about Paris getting booted. I might stop watching this next year, since this is obvioulsy not a talent competition.
    Walter Rick Long

I may stop watching this week ;) How can she be booted, but catherine and elliot are still there?? WTF!!

OK, I will stop before you need to moderate and moderator ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Under the circumstances, I might let it slide ;)

I have little interest in watching the rest of the show now. What if Chris doesn't win? Who? Taylor? Who else?!
    Walter Rick Long

Pentax Forum Moderator

We are now into total mediocrity!!! Chris and Taylor will probably be the top 2...but as we've learned...this is not a talent competition...it's a popularity contest.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Taylor is entertaining, but I agree he doesn't have the talent of Paris for instance. I honestly think Paris will be a star someday !

Chris on the otherhand isn't a great "singer" in terms of vocal range and perfection, but that guy could sell out a stadium with the right band. He shows the most potential for REVINUE and album sales in the 14-40 age range, if not older IMHO. That would depend on what kind of songs he sang, but his rock style is very marketable!

The rest in my mind are jokes in terms of vocals range, entertainment value and marketability.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

It's interesting, because I liked Paris the least as far as her vocals went. My prediction is that Chris will win, and I think it will be Chris and Taylor in the final 2.

Emily

I agree Emily. Except I can also see Katherine in the top 2 . If Elliott lasts another week I think I am going to blow a gasket

I am disappointed this season in that I don't think Chris is the best singer out of the top 12. But I do think he will win...
    Walter Rick Long

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information