Any Culinary Artists?

Printable View

• 07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
    adina
    Re: Any Culinary Artists?
    We just had quiche, which is always enjoyable. I have a photo, and I'll post the recipe.

We also had pulled pork in the crock pot (no photo) and dirt cake (no photo).

Over the next week, it's a roast in the crock pot, and ribs at some point. We make them with a sherry glaze.

I'll get some new ones on here this week. I've been in a cooking mood.
  • 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
    adina
    By the way.....the crock pot ROCKS! It doesn't heat up the entire kitchen, which is nice when it's 90 and humid. And I can start it in the morning when I feel like cooking, and when I'm lazy and don't want to do it, it's already done. Hurray!

Many many times we've ordered in because no one feels like getting up to cook.
  • 07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
    walterick
    I don't like crock pots. Not because I've ever used one. I just hated everything that came out of ours when my mom used to use it.

I have been out of the kitchen for a few weeks. Just getting back in this week. I made that deelicious mojito marinade (recipe somewhere in this thread) two nights ago and tonight....

Brining!
    I think I did something wrong with the brining, Steve. My chicken tasted really salty. I kinda went a little crazy with the salt and sugar thinking the chicken couldn't possibly absorb it all. I guess it did. I used 2 cups of water and 2 tbs each salt and sugar.

I read a recipe on epicurious this evening that uses water and brown sugar. Might give that a try some day...

By the way. Has anyone else tried anyone's recipes from up here?! Just me?

Rick
  • 07-13-2006, 06:40 PM
    adina
    We used to call my mom's the crap pot. Now she laughs at me because I use it.

My oldest explained it best. Gramma's is a crap pot, mom's is a crock pot, they are two different things.

ps...all the ones I've posted I've made, so yes, someone else has tried these recipes
  • 07-13-2006, 06:59 PM
    adina
    Bacon and Tomato Soup

4 slices bacon (real bacon, not turkey, you need the residue in the pan)
    1 small onion
    1 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp flour
    1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 bay leaf
    2 cups milk
    salt and pepper

Cook bacon in medium sized pot, when bacon is done, drain grease leaving residue. Peel and chop onion into small pieces. Melt butter in pot, add onions and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Add flour, stir until fully absorbed. Add tomatoes and their liquid, black pepper, salt and bay leaf. Cook uncovered for 2 minutes, add milk and heat until hot. Break up cooked bacon and stir in, remove bay leaf.
  • 07-13-2006, 07:03 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    ps...all the ones I've posted I've made, so yes, someone else has tried these recipes

I can see the technical proficiency of my language is going to have to increase in order dance around your stunning wit.

Have you made... anyone else's recipes yet?

I'm going to have a contest to see which recipe I should make next. I'm having a hard time choosing (this thread got really huge.) I wonder if it's time for a new thread?

I wonder how many generations back the "crap pot" name goes? I'll bet more than two :D

I used to call ours something similar, actually. Too funny. "Poop pot" or something to that effect :D
  • 07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
    adina
    Green Pea Picnic Salad

1 lb frozen peas
    3/4 cup cucumber, chopped
    2 cloves fresh garlic
    1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2/3 cup light sour cream
    1/3 cup light mayo
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Place peas in colander and run cool water over them to thaw, set aside to drain. Mix cucumber, garlic, red pepper, and onion in bowl. Add sour cream, mayo, lemon, salt and pepper to bowl. Stir will. Add peas, toss to coat and mix well.
  • 07-13-2006, 07:08 PM
    adina
    If you do a new thread, I think you should have to post a photo with your recipe
  • 07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
    walterick
    Great idea!
  • 07-29-2006, 07:08 PM
    walterick
    Resurrected!

I am having a hard time choosing my next recipe to try. I haven't been cooking as much as I'd like, but tonight I finally tried a <A href="http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108244">Moroccan Chicken</a> recipe from Epicurious and it was great. Ate it so fast I forgot to take a picture :) Since there are soo many recipes in this thread, I was wondering...

If you only had *one* recipe to recommend to someone, which would it be?!

That should help me narrow it down. Thanks all!
  • 07-29-2006, 07:12 PM
    walterick
    Oh, yeah. MY favorite is the <A href="http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105576">Mojito Chicken</a> recipe from Epicurious! Deeelice!
  • 07-30-2006, 11:10 AM
    adina
    taco soup. It's kinda like chili, but a little different.

I even eat it in the summer.
  • 07-30-2006, 11:57 AM
    walterick
    Oh, yeah. And post a recipe :D