• 01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
    Medley
    Anti-Virus: what do you use?
    OK, this Mac-boy needs your help. I'm taking some on-line classes, and one of them uses Windows-only software. No problem there, I've reinstalled Parallels and Windows (XP Home).

Now I need a decent anti-virus for the windows side. NOT my area of expertise!

So, what do you use/ recommend? I'm currently using Trend Micro on the Mac side, and it seems decent enough.

Thanks in advance,

- Joe U.
  • 01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Re: Anti-Virus: what do you use?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Medley
    OK, this Mac-boy needs your help. I'm taking some on-line classes, and one of them uses Windows-only software. No problem there, I've reinstalled Parallels and Windows (XP Home).

Now I need a decent anti-virus for the windows side. NOT my area of expertise!

So, what do you use/ recommend? I'm currently using Trend Micro on the Mac side, and it seems decent enough.

Thanks in advance,

- Joe U.

I use AVG (free). Avast is also excellent and has a free version.
  • 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM
    SmartWombat
    Another AVG (free) user here.
  • 01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
    BlueRob
    Norton Internet security 2010 (NIS)
  • 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM
    Grandpaw
    AVG user of the free edition for years. Myself I absolutely refuse to let Norton take over my computer again, Jeff
  • 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
    Medley
    Sounds like AVG free may be the way to go. I'm only using internet on the Windows side to upload/ download to and from the Blackboard system at the local uni. I'd hate to have to invest a lot, and I don't see it as a particularly high risk.

Thanks.

- Joe U.
  • 01-06-2010, 12:56 AM
    Skyman
    Linux and MAC!

seriously though, I buy the AV software for work. we have used E-Trust but it let things through and Nortons but it really really slows down the machine. We are now using Trend Micro and I love it!

I have also used AVG and it is good, but i have found that you get what you pay for (the paid version is really solid) I haven't tried it but kapersky has a good rep and since a large number of viruses these days come out of russia, it makes sense that this is where a good AV package comes from.
  • 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
    flyinion
    ESET is my favorite at the moment, http://www.eset.com/ Works well and doesn't bog the machine down at all.
  • 01-06-2010, 03:20 PM
    havana_joe
    Computer Associates. I've used it for years, on both my computers, and have never had a single virus.
  • 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
    Franglais
    Kaspersky
    Just signed up for another year with Kaspersky. Doesn't use up too much memory, it's not intrusive, the updates come regularly and it detects all sorts of menaces immediately so far.
  • 01-08-2010, 01:53 AM
    Flybye
    Another AVG user here! :)
  • 01-10-2010, 06:00 AM
    Don Schaeffer
    I use the new Microsoft free virus protection software called "Microsoft Security Essentials." You can download it for free. It's upgraded periodically. It's a small program that doesn't slopw the computer down.
  • 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM
    mn shutterbug
    I used to use AVG until the owner of a local computer store informed me that Avast is better. Maybe he's biased, but it works well for me.
  • 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM
    kobrien4
    AVG user here. Only thing about it I dont like is all the little green stars at the end of all my search results on google. but other than that I love it.
  • 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    I used to use AVG until the owner of a local computer store informed me that Avast is better. Maybe he's biased, but it works well for me.

I have used both. Both are equally good. Better yet, both are free!
  • 01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
    dl4449
    Yet another AVG user
    Troy
  • 02-01-2010, 12:05 AM
    shilpaworld3
    i use AVG its excellent and has a free version.and it makes sense that this is where a good AV package comes from.
  • 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
    thedill
    I use Norton 360 but the computer nerds in our graphics department recommend the free AVG so when my subscription runs out i'm gonna use it.
  • 02-18-2010, 05:05 AM
    enricklary
    Hi,

I am just using AVG...It's really helping me in a great way to protect my PC...

Thank you.
  • 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
    jorgemonkey
    AVG free :)
  • 02-18-2010, 09:50 AM
    poker
    Sophos has worked for me.
  • 02-24-2010, 05:32 PM
    Greg McCary
    Avast, free version
  • 02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
    havana_joe
    I WAS using Computer Associates, but the $49.99 renewal just came up, and I didn't feel like renewing it. Now I simply use Microsoft Security Essentials, and I do a weekly scan with Malwarebytes. Both programs are free. I am amazed at how much faster my computer runs without CA installed, it boots faster, and even things such as copying files to an external drive is a lot faster.
  • 03-20-2010, 06:37 AM
    janicee
    Avast user here!
    guess that is be best and very light on computer.
  • 03-23-2010, 06:47 AM
    AndiSmith
    I use Kaspersky... The great thing they are always releasing updates and doesn't consume too much on memory... I tried using bit defender, it was great though I have low memory and it uses a lot of memory... I also heard esset nod32 was also great, I am planning of trying that too. I wish it will not require high memory :D