Another bridge collapse!

Printable View

• 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
    JSPhoto
    Another bridge collapse!
    Out in Arizona a bridge under construction had a section collapse. This being a new bridge there was no traffic on it at the time of the collapse so no lives lost, but you can bet the NTSB will be doing some serious tests on the cement and steel used in the construction, and it makes me wonder if someone wasn't cutting corners to save money. It's just good that the bridge wasn't being used at the time.
    JS
  • 08-10-2007, 09:53 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Re: Another bridge collapse!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Out in Arizona a bridge under construction had a section collapse. This being a new bridge there was no traffic on it at the time of the collapse so no lives lost, but you can bet the NTSB will be doing some serious tests on the cement and steel used in the construction, and it makes me wonder if someone wasn't cutting corners to save money. It's just good that the bridge wasn't being used at the time.
    JS

This has happened in the past and rarely has anything to do with shoddy construction materials. Sometimes, workers get careless and some temporary support doesn't get set or bolts are put in the wrong place or... In Colorado last year, a beam fell off of a bridge on 470 and killed a family driving under it at the time. It was human error, not building fraud.

Then there is the Big Dig and fraud...
  • 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
    walterick
    Wow I wondered if this would make national news in light of the close proximity to the Miss River collapse. It happened about 30 minutes from here on a section of the highway they are still building. The collapse is under investigation, but what an amazing coincidence to the other bridge.
  • 08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
    JSPhoto
    Yeah, it made the national news, considering the Minnesota incident you'll hear about any bridge that has "issues".

In Indiana they have hundreds of bridges that are in need of repair, and considering we do have a fault line here many older bridges are not built for earthquakes.
    The brigde between Louisville KY and Jamestown In is the same construction as the Minneapolis bridge.....and just as rusty under that coat of paint

JS