PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Looking for a GEEK to help me...

Problem with Internet .... Other computers on network work fine, but my main computer dzn't automatically connect.....

Windows 7 - no Internet connection when I turn on the computer...

To resolve - each day, I have to:

1.) Open the Network and Sharing center and click on ...

2.) Change Adapter Settings where it currently shows "No Internet Access"...

3.) Click on "Disable the device" .... which currently shows "No internet access..."

4.) It then shows LAN disabled ............. I click back on "Enable Network Device" .....

5.) Success ...... Internet connected !

I'm getting tired of doing this everytime I turn the computer on...... There's probably a page where I enable the connection by default when computer is turned on, but I
    can't find anything like this..... Turning off something that's not working anyway, just to turn it back on so it will work just dzn't make sense... but then - it's a computer..

Any Geeks out there offer a solution?

thanks,

r

Re: Looking for a GEEK to help me...

It sounds like you're not getting a DHCP address when you start up your computer. When you turn off the network card then turn it back on it is asking for a new network address and getting one the second time around.

To check this, when the computer is showing "no Internet access":

- Go into Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories (or something like that - mine is in French)
    - Select the program with the black square (probably marked Commands)
    - When you get the black square DOS window up type "ipconfig"
    - Check the list of network devices till you see one with a line saying something like "Subnetwork mask 255.255.255.0"
    - Look at the line above it with the IP4 address. If the address starts with "169." then Windows has not been allocated an address by your DHCP server and has invented it's own (which doesn't have access to Internet)

If you're not getting a valid network address it's probably a problem with the DHCP server that allocates the addresses in your network or your connection to it. For instance if you have a box from your Internet Service Provider:

- if you turn on the box immediately before turning on your PC then your box might not be fully up and running by the time your PC is up and asking for a network address
    - the DHCP server on your box may have crashed. This happens to mine from time to time. I just turn it off, wait 10 seconds then turn it back on, wait for a couple of minutes then reboot my systems so they get DHCP addresses

BTW don't call me a Geek. I'm a Systems Engineer. I've passed exams on this sort of stuff.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information