• 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
    Franglais
    Almost got robbed last week in the street
    I was walking behind Notre Dame in Paris - typical tourist place - when a Rom girl came up to me with a petition to sign. She was a bit insistent so I grabbed her right wrist - and recovered my mobile phone from her left hand - I had rather foolishly left it in a belt case.

Here's another illustration of the method from St Petersburg in Russia. The lens is stolen under cover of a paper and passed to an accomplice

LiveLeak.com - Thieves in Saint-Petersburg (Russia) Steal Camera lens from a photographer

I was thinking of going to full-frame for holidays but finally I can see that the compactness of the DX format is less visible to thieves..
  • 07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
    mattb
    Re: Almost got robbed last week in the street
    I already like my small bodies and pancake primes, but this makes me like them more!
  • 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
    GB1
    Those "Rom"s are supposedly notorious pick pockets. They would make great characters in a Fiction novel.
  • 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM
    Franglais
    So I have captured a pickpocket. What to do next? I don't have time to turn her in to the police. I let her go. Afterwards I asked my Facebook friends what they would have done:

- English friends: Slap her face
    - French friends: Slap her face
    - Hungarian friends: DON'T SLAP HER FACE. Rom families are very close and they would have come after me seeking revenge.

I shall bear that in mind next time I'm in Hungary..
  • 07-12-2013, 09:08 AM
    GB1
    Make should have made her pose for you ... That is punishment enough. :)
  • 07-25-2013, 04:22 AM
    DeGregorioJohn
    thank you so much for sharing ....
  • 08-01-2013, 04:57 AM
    georgimz
    When I am abroad I always wear my pocket and mobile phone on my neck. There is very smal chance to be robbed.