PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Cheney shooting

Cheney shooting

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11312757/

Now I was under the impression that if someone was taken to the hospital for gunshot wounds that the police needed to be contacted, and that the hospital usually did that....

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Boy am I disappointed...

I thought there'd be a lot more jokes tying in Dan Quayle to the "quail hunting" and "stupid VP" references...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Boy am I disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I thought there'd be a lot more jokes tying in Dan Quayle to the "quail hunting" and "stupid VP" references...
    Did you get your cheese?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Cheney shooting

Depends who you are, doesn't it?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

When my girlfriend heard about this the first question she asked was "was it a reporter?" lol
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I believe the police were notified, according to everything I've read on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/...ney/index.html

An ambulance was already on the property due to Cheney's being present.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I heard on the radio this morning that the VP's people had set up a meeting with the police to go over everything at 8:00 the next morning. A caller to the radio show brought up Cheney's past drinking habits and speculated that the meeting the next day would give the VP time to sober up before talking to the police. A police officer showed up to talk to Cheney later that night, and was denied access to the VP. It's all speculation, but it makes you wonder...

They are also people blaming the victim now. Saying that it was his responsibility to annouce to the hunting party that he was returning to the hunt. Another case of the Bush administration refusing to addmit any wrong doing?

Cheney also was hunting illegally because he didn't have a quail stamp. An oversite or another case of the laws not applying to the Bush administration?

These aren't nessesarily my points of view, but just some questions that I'm sure will come up in the media.

I also find it interesting that they are refering to Whittington as being "sprayed" or "peppered" in the face because it doesn't sound as bad as being "shot in the face".
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I read that the lawyer who was shot was issuing a "no comment" statement, out of respect to Cheney.

You can sure as hell bet if someone shot me in the face I'd have a lot to say about it. No comment would be at the bottom of the list.

Actually, had this been anyone else, it would have never made the news, except in that town. Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens all the time. On the plus side, they did have the ambulence right there, but what is a guy who needs an ambulence to follow him doing hunting?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11340558/

The Cheney shootee has suffered a minor heart attack, believed to be caused by a pellet in his chest.

God forbid this guy would die, could Cheney be charged with unintentional homicide?

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11340558/

The Cheney shootee has suffered a minor heart attack, believed to be caused by a pellet in his chest.

God forbid this guy would die, could Cheney be charged with unintentional homicide?

Probably not. The biggest things right now are the media attention on why it took the White House 24 hours to report this and the fact that every person who knows anything about hunting and gun safety knows that Cheney is the one in the wrong and they have been saying as such.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Re: Boy am I disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    No kidding! It seemed so obvious but haven't heard anything yet. Didn't watch Leno last night though. So many wierd things about the way this was handled, but then again I'm not surprised.

I was thinking it was more like Cheney needing a heart donor....ooppsss, guess he didn't count on one of those pellets getting into the "new" heart.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

OMG!

Do an Ebay search for "Dick Cheney t shirt!" OMG it is hilarious!

"Weapon of Mass Destruction"

"Dick Cheney: Unsuccessfully hunting Osama Bin Laden since 2001"

"Gun don't kill people. Cheney kills people."

"I went hunting with Dick Cheney and all I got was this bloody tshirt"

"Cheney's got a gun"

OMG people are so hilarious! LOL

Let's hear some of those Dick Cheney jokes!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

We went to comedycentral.com and watched the Jon Stewart clips. Almost fell on the floor laughing.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

I only have two simple observations:

1. Yes, it was a hunting accident, nothing ominous going on.

2. One of the basic rules of gun safety is that you don't pull the trigger unless you know what you are shooting at. Cheney said "I heard a sound in the grass and fired." Its time for another basic gun safety course for the VP.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

latest radio quote from a friend of Cheney "he eats what he shoots" - with f f f fava beans?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    latest radio quote from a friend of Cheney "he eats what he shoots" - with f f f fava beans?
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    I only have two simple observations:

1. Yes, it was a hunting accident, nothing ominous going on.

2. One of the basic rules of gun safety is that you don't pull the trigger unless you know what you are shooting at. Cheney said "I heard a sound in the grass and fired." Its time for another basic gun safety course for the VP.
    I agree, Michael. There are accidents like this every year in Wisconsin because someone is a little too quick on the trigger or isn't completely aware of their surroundings. Its unfortunate that the victim of the attack suffered a minor heart attack from this.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

It's no different for any politician, dem or repub! It's just like congress. How many of your reps wrote bad checks years ago? How many of them went to jail? Ok, no jail. Got fined? Oh, ok, not fined. Got so much as put in the corner? NONE! Would any of us get away with that? I think both these men are responsible IF any of what is being bandied about is true. Because you know both sides are lying.

I'm sure if you did a search, you could find intelligent arguments for and against every issue raised on this thread. It's just whether or not you want to actually "listen" to the other side. We often only believe what we WANT to believe, no matter how intelligently the other side argues, or how true their argument may be.

One of my sisters had sent me an email touting "Bush-isms" a few years ago. Reading them, I recognized them as having been attributed to Al Gore and Dan Quayle as well. I pointed it out and she became so upset because "she didn't think I would ever defend that man". Defend him? I was just stating that these same sayings were attributed to others as well. But she insisted on only seeing that her fun was being muddled by me.

Then she latched on to his saying "Most of our imports come from overseas" and she pounced me on with a great big AHA! Again, not defending the man, but I had to ask "well, don't we import anything from Mexico, Canada, and even Central and maybe South AMerica that don't come by sea?" She was livid.

My long way of saying both sides lie, both sides cheat, ALL POLITICIANS ARE EVIL!! Aint a good one in the bunch!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Saw my first bumper sticker yesterday.

"I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than driving with Ted Kennedy."

Thread Information