PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

"All Hat and No Cattle"

I just want to set the record straight for anyone who watched the debate last night from somewhere outside of Texas. I've lived in Texas for over 30 years and I've never even heard the saying, "All hat and no cattle," much less used it in a sentence.

Now that I got that cleared up...did anyone change their mind last night?

Paul

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Talking Re: "All Hat and No Cattle"

I don't think it was on in my area?
    That's a funny phrase, I can think of at least one Texan, come Washingtonian that this phrase fits well....
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: "All Hat and No Cattle"

Reminds me of the James McMurtry line "All dressed up like Gunsmoke... For Saturday night...".

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Reminds me of the James McMurtry line "All dressed up like Gunsmoke... For Saturday night...".
    Yes!
    That's a dark song, but it's a good one.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

GB1

Didn't watch the debate but did hear a few snippets on the radio.

Appears that Obama's likeability is breaking away from Hillary's experience...
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I don't think it was on in my area?
    Do you get CNN?

Texas doesn't usually make a difference in the Presidential race because it's so late in the primary season, but also because it's almost assumed that the state will go Republican in the general election. In case you haven't heard, Austin is a blue island in a giant red sea, so when they announced these two historic Democratic candidates were coming to Austin for a major debate, everyone in town went nuts trying to get tickets. There were Debate Watch Parties at bars and movie theaters all over.

What album is that song from? I don't recall it. I heard a good one on the radio last night that I've never heard, and it sounded like a new one. It's not on his "Childish Things" album, so I wonder if he's about to release another one.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Didn't watch the debate but did hear a few snippets on the radio.

Appears that Obama's likeability is breaking away from Hillary's experience...
    I would agree with that in general, although its still very close in Texas and she still has a small lead in Ohio.

The most notable thing I remember from the debate was when Hillary got booed for bringing up that phrase that Obama borrowed from his friend and used in one of his speeches. I thought it was a stupid point to make, because no one expects politicians to write every word of every speech. They also asked her to explain two or three other things she's been saying about him in her campaign speeches and they did not have similar questions for Barak, because he's not out there talking trash about her. One of my favorite things about him is that he refuses to be pulled into the mud slinging, and I think a lot of people appreciate that.

Paul

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I haven't watched it yet but have it recorded.
    I was thinking last week after the fainting woman news that his speeches do seem to be inspiring but lacking in substance when his lack of substance started being bandied by the political pundits.
    I'm leaning Hillary right now and didn't like her at all at first but have to admire how well she's stood up. Right now I don't know.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    What album is that song from? I don't recall it.

Paul
    The name of the song is "Lights of Cheyenne", and it's on the "Live in Aught-Three" album.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    The name of the song is "Lights of Cheyenne", and it's on the "Live in Aught-Three" album.
    That's the one. Great disc, thanks to Brian for turning me onto him!

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    .. his speeches do seem to be inspiring but lacking in substance when his lack of substance started being bandied by the political pundits.
    Yep, his speeches are lacking in substance. Everything's a general statement about coming together or changing Washington.. you have to wonder if he's really got any idea how hard it is to change a system full of people who don't want to change?

I just couldn't stand listening to Hillary for four years.. that screechy voice :mad2:

Texas doesn't usually make a difference in the Presidential race because it's so late in the primary season, but also because it's almost assumed that the state will go Republican in the general election. In case you haven't heard, Austin is a blue island in a giant red sea, so when they announced these two historic Democratic candidates were coming to Austin for a major debate, everyone in town went nuts trying to get tickets. There were Debate Watch Parties at bars and movie theaters all over.
    Didn't you know that Austin, Tx and Fresno, Ca were mysteriously swapped by UFOs many years ago.....?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I've lived in Texas for over 30 years and I've never even heard the saying, "All hat and no cattle," much less used it in a sentence.

I didn't watch the debate so I have no idea how they used the saying.

I have never heard All Hat and No Cattle, but we have a very similar saying here. We say Big Hat No Cattle.

It's all for show.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

That's the one. Great disc, thanks to Brian for turning me onto him!
    You bet!
    That song and many of the other tracks on that CD were recorded here in Slat Lake City, at the long departed and sadly missed Zephyr Club.
    I wasn't at any of those shows, due to a broken leg, but I did catch him at the Zephyr a few months before.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Yep, his speeches are lacking in substance. Everything's a general statement about coming together or changing Washington.. you have to wonder if he's really got any idea how hard it is to change a system full of people who don't want to change?
    I agree that his speeches are lacking in detail when compared to Clinton's, but let's put this in perspective. Neither candidate is providing nearly enough information to explain how they're going to accomplish their lofty goals, especially in their speeches. You have to go read about it on their websites, and even then, most of that stuff is not likely to happen no matter who gets elected.

I have a problem with Clinton's insistence that Obama's skill in giving speeches doesn't matter. His speeches are effective because of what he says, but the way he says it is also very important. Our Democracy is at it's weakest when people are not involved. It takes collective effort to get things done and his speeches are proving to be very effective at motivating people to get involved. If he can motivate Congress anywhere near as well as he's motivating the electorate, he might just bring about some real change.

Hillary on the other hand has proven to be divisive, and I'm reminded of that every time I see a headline that says, "Hillary attacks Obama on..." As far as her having more experience than Obama, I just hope she has a better argument when she's compared to McCain. That's really the biggest issue for me. I think Obama has a better chance of winning the general election, especially with Nader back in the picture.

Paul

I think I am voting Independant this year. I am disgusted with them all.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information