PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    One of the many things scientists do in Antarctica - great place to study this with an icecap that's about two miles thick.

I think the most important thing we can do is try to be cautious. If there are a bunch of scientists that think moderating consumption is a good idea and if not, this may happen - that's a pretty good message. Maybe every single one of them is wrong, but why tempt fate?

As for the prize itself, I'm not a big fan of it. Ghandi never won it. Our illustrious former Governor was nominated after commuting all death row inmates to life sentence (however this nominee would be found guilty of federal corruption charges in the months to come, lost his State pension and may serve a short sentence himself). It's just like yet another "top 10" list to me.
    Actually, Hitler and Stalin were nominated. Obviously, their nominations were rejected.
    Last edited by mwfanelli2; 10-29-2007 at 11:11 AM.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

My understanding from an NPR piece a few years ago is that basically anyone can be nominated. There are LOST of people out there capable of nominating someone for a Nobel prize, so saying that someone was nominated is akin to saying someone was proud of their grandson. The committee apparently receives hundreds (if not thousands?) of nominations each year. It's apparently in the voting where the real discernment takes place.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Member Intrepid Berkeley Explorer's Avatar

I photographed evidence of global warming without even knowing it. This was on my 1990 trip to Alaska, when Al Gore was one of few Senators concerned about the issue. Not much publicity yet. Even in Glacier Bay we were told about how the glaciers had retreated significantly over many decades. Still glacier calving (ice falling from the face) was the most desirable video. My ignorance then could be excused, but that is no longer acceptable for people on our planet.

Facts and stats like these found at this link - http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/ is a big reason why people have a hard time worrying/believing about global warming. According to the "inconvienent truth" camp we should be having more and more powerful storms. These last two seasons are an easy and "proven" rebuttle to the hype - at least one facet.
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    Facts and stats like these found at this link - http://www.coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/tropical/ is a big reason why people have a hard time worrying/believing about global warming. According to the "inconvienent truth" camp we should be having more and more powerful storms. These last two seasons are an easy and "proven" rebuttle to the hype - at least one facet.
    No one said it is a linear relationship. Plus, we still have an el Nino that also has a big effect on weather and ocean currents. There is no such thing as "all or nothing" in systems this complex regardless of what Gore on the left or the ultra right-wing nut-jobs on the right say.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Michael, I agree. My point was that they would have you believe there IS a linear relationship either as a scare tactic or a hype method and when it doesn't work out people start to question other findings.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

I am a new to this site, and after reading these comments, I realize that this site is not just for camera buffs but also a soapbox and political arena for those who apparently do not know that there are a multitude of sites on the Web where you can vent and debate at will.

I would expect that a location like this would have some rules and outlines to advise users that it is meant for those who's primary ambition is photography. I came here expecting to find a place to learn and experience a wonderful form of expression, the photograph. I am a bit disappointed in the rhetoric displayed here, and hope that this is only a one time expression. It clearly has deviated from what I understood was the purpose of this site.

Ciao,

Silvio
    Silvio

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Yes

You are in the off-topic forum, which is designed for all those reasons you stated, and more. We have at least 20 other forums dedicated solely to photography, and I see you have found several of them. Please continue to enjoy our site and feel free to make as many ranting, political, soapbox posts in our off-topic forum as you wish ;-)

Good luck
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Not only are we political on occasion, but we also discuss Britney Spears, cooking, music, movies and shoes.

We are quite well rounded. That's why we needed an off topic forum, to keep the photography forums photography related.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

this forum only shows that there are lots more topic that photographers and aspirants like to talk about other than photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information