• 09-28-2006, 05:37 AM
    mwfanelli
    Airports: No Bill of Rights Here
    Airport security is now suspending the Bill of Rights: explicitly, not imagined or assumed:

"A traveler frustrated with recent changes to airport security procedures found himself detained in Milwaukee after writing a message critical of the TSA's leader on a plastic bag presented for screening. The message, which read "Kip Hawley is an Idiot," resulted in a confrontation with law enforcement, the traveler being told that his right to freedom of speech applied only "out there (pointing past the id checkers) not while in here [the checkpoint]." The story, which is detailed in a rapidly-growing thread on a discussion forum catering to frequent flyers, has attracted the interest of the ACLU, an AP reporter, and many others. The incident raises a number of interesting questions and concerns regarding just where our rights end."

The death of rights in America continues.

www.flyertalk.com Note: This site has been Slashdotted, the database crashed as of this morning. Wait a while for the rush to slow down.
  • 09-28-2006, 11:35 PM
    walterick
    Re: Airports: No Bill of Rights Here
    Well, it's not just for secret prisons anymore!
  • 09-29-2006, 01:06 PM
    adina
    ah yes, Milwaukee's finest hard at work.
  • 09-30-2006, 10:40 AM
    SmartWombat
    How much are these people paid, above minimum wage?
    How are they selected, any kind of psych screning?
    When some people get a little power, the chip on their shoulder shows.
  • 09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
    adina
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    How much are these people paid, above minimum wage?
    When some people get a little power, the chip on their shoulder shows.

In my experience, a good portion of these people are basically rent-a-cops. They have a few actual policemen there, but a lot of the guys appear to be from a security company.
  • 10-01-2006, 08:45 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat

I'll bet there's some basic economics at work here - not a lot of people would want that job and they only have so much money budgeted for screeners, so they get what they get (no offense to any screeners out there :) ). Like a lot of situations, you'll run into mostly reasonable people and a few unreasonable ones who just want to make life difficult.

You're all probably familiar with the new regulations as of last Tuesday - I flew on Thursday and didn't see anyone taking advantage of the change, or any signs up at screening. I heard yesterday about someone with two tubes of toothpaste that only had about one squeeze left in each. Since each tube was 5.5 oz (when full) they weren't allowed. Obviously I don't see any harm in it, but OTOH I try to follow the regulations to the letter and have never had a problem. I don't want to miss a flight or go thru who-knows-what just to make a point.
  • 10-01-2006, 09:32 AM
    mjs1973
    Did anyone watch Saturday Night Live last night? They had a skit on there about the TSA and the new regulations. It was pretty funny!
  • 10-02-2006, 08:29 AM
    walterick
    Yeah, I caught that part of SNL :)