PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Oh. My. God.

Oh. My. God.

Really, that's all I can think to say.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15142930/?GT1=8618
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Oh. My. God.

Right. Because having 30 handguns floating around a high school is a lot more reasonable and safer than, say, having metal detectors.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I've been hearing about his on the radio alot this week... My first reaction was about the same as yours Adinda. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I didn't really follow the concealed carry bill when it was amlost passed last year, but this just seems like a new tactic to get that type of legislation passed.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Wow. What a great idea. Maybe we should build firing ranges down by the tennis courts and the teachers could take target practice between classes. Now that would sure keep me off of the campus, and my kids too. And who is going to police what kind of weapon they can carry, revolvers, automatics, 9mm or 44 magnums. Teachers with loaded guns. I think that there are many other things that can be done besides this. And what will you do with that teacher that can't seem to keep up with there gun. Were not talking about cellphones here.
    Most campuses are not built with a lot of security in mind. When schools are in the design stage they should be build with a little fore thought. Keeping strangers off of the campus should be a high priority. We already have policemen at all of our high schools in our area, and they stay pretty busy. We can do better than this. I had rather have more cops and metal detectors than to hand out firearms, and to untrained shooters at that.
    Leave it to a republican to come up with this one. Always wanting to shot or bomb something it seems. This is not Israel, kids over there can probably build pipe bombs by age 12.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not to make light of this (laugh to keep from crying?), but if teachers had been allowed to carry guns back when I was in school, I would probably not be sitting here today...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Wow. What a great idea. Maybe we should build firing ranges down by the tennis courts and the teachers could take target practice between classes. Now that would sure keep me off of the campus, and my kids too. And who is going to police what kind of weapon they can carry, revolvers, automatics, 9mm or 44 magnums. Teachers with loaded guns. I think that there are many other things that can be done besides this. And what will you do with that teacher that can't seem to keep up with there gun. Were not talking about cellphones here. .
    Boy, it certainly puts a new spin on the concept of Teacher Education and upgrading professional credentials. Next comes the teacher SWAT team?

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Not to make light of this (laugh to keep from crying?), but if teachers had been allowed to carry guns back when I was in school, I would probably not be sitting here today...

Yeah, there's a lot of that. But look, you turned out to be a reasonably nice guy.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    But look, you turned out to be a reasonably nice guy...
    Thanks. You know Adina, you would make a good character witness the next time I'm in court. Whadya say???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Thanks. You know Adina, you would make a good character witness the next time I'm in court. Whadya say???
    Just stick my plane ticket in the mail.

Looks like Frank Lasee has come to his senses, well sort of. At least he's no longer advocating having teachers carry guns in school, now he just wants 1 gun in every school...

"Yes, there'd be a locked container with the gun and with training and certification [school staff would] be able to access that only in the event that someone with a gun came into our schools that didn't belong there," Frank Lasee told WISC-TV.

I'm no political scientis, but I'm guessing that this guy isn't up for reelection next month...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If I thought teachers were statistically less crazy then the general population I might think there was nothing wrong with this idea.
    The best thing to do would be to create a society in which all persons felt honored and valuable so no one would feel the need to shoot others.
    I know....idealistic dream but I've always beed guilty of that.

"Yes, there'd be a locked container with the gun and with training and certification [school staff would] be able to access that only in the event that someone with a gun came into our schools that didn't belong there..."

Yeah, as long as they came into the room which held the locked-up gun.

I doubt administrators would take the gun and go running down the hall to find where the shooter is.
    Walter Rick Long

We already have cops stationed in our schools with guns, and already trained to use them. So what's the point......

You may, but we don't. And we never had. And the day we do, is the day I shell out massive amounts of money for private school, regardless of how great our public school system is.

Not really fond of guns. While I'm not in the "take the guns from everyone" group, I most certainly am in the "not in my house" group.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Not really fond of guns.
    Me either. But I know people have the right to own them. It's the need to own semi-automatic assault rifles that I don't understand.
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Me either. But I know people have the right to own them. It's the need to own semi-automatic assault rifles that I don't understand.
    My uncle (total redneck) and his friends used to go deer hunting with those. What's the point in that, I always wondered.

Our schools aren't bad enough to have cops. A fight between students from time to time is about all we get. I think the higher ups are just being cautious. When I was in High School if you got in a fight. The football coach invited you out to the football field and the two fighters would put on the boxing gloves and go at it until one quit. Ah the good old days...
    Greg
    Ditto on the guns in the house. Not while I have little ones around......

I don't even know if our high school has a cop or not. I know we didn't have, or NEED one when I was in school, and that wasn't very long ago.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    We already have cops stationed in our schools with guns, and already trained to use them. So what's the point......
    We don't, anywhere in Canada, that I am aware of. In some areas of Quebec, I rarely even see police in the streets.

Ronnoco

Must be nice Ron, Maybe I need to move to Canada...
    Greg

Thread Information