PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Favre to the Jets?

Have you been following any of the drama about Favre un-retiring? Well, now he's a Jet, and it's officially over. For the past month, there has been no other news in Wisconsin, but this. He said, they said, back and forth.

Whatcha think?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

GB1

Re: Favre to the Jets?

I can see the Pack's position - Farve is getting up there in age, is losing mobility, has been waffling the last x years. Etc, etc.

But changing your mind on retiring ain't a crime. All he did was ask for his release and they nixed it, saying "we don't want you here, but we prefer you don't play elsewhere." What's up with that? If he's not good enough to play for them then why are they afraid for him to play for another team? Makes no sense.

Good luck to Farve and the Jets.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I can see the Pack's position - Farve is getting up there in age, is losing mobility, has been waffling the last x years. Etc, etc.

But changing your mind on retiring ain't a crime. All he did was ask for his release and they nixed it, saying "we don't want you here, but we prefer you don't play elsewhere." What's up with that? If he's not good enough to play for them then why are they afraid for him to play for another team? Makes no sense.

Good luck to Farve and the Jets.

I don't see the pack's position being anything about him getting up in age ... blah blah blah ...

The stance the packers have been taking is due to the fact that he retired. They spent 2 draft picks on QB's and started taking the team in a post Farve direction. Then - all of a sudden with a week or so before training camp - "I still want to play".

I give the packers credit for standing their ground with this. They have played the "are you retiring this year" game for a long time and he didn't make it easy for them either. Everyone knew the day was coming soon and he finally made that decision. Over the off season the packers made their plan to continue without him.

I think had he made the "un-retire" decision earlier (ie. before the draft) they would of welcomed him back with open arms.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Disgraceful, the way he was treated. The guy is a hall of fame qb. I get the whole football is a business thing, but really, if your moving on, you could simply have released him. Reminds me of the way Walter Payton was treated in Chicago by some third string tight end who managed to BS his way into the hall. It is a disgrace to the game, though the fans know better. I think the fans at the meadowlands will stand for Favre. He would be smart to ask Phil Simms about the wind. Phil Simms is the best quarterback to have played in that stadium.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I wondered when you were going to post about this, Adina.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I wondered when you were going to post about this, Adina.

I was waiting for a final decision, haven't paid too much attention to the whole story.

Every year, we wait months to find out if he's going to retire. This time, he did, and pretty early in the year. So the Packers moved foward. No one but those involved will know exactly what happened, but as people say so often, perception is reality.

What it looked like, is that Favre waited until it was almost too late for the Packers to backtrack without disrupting the beginning of the season.

And it looked like Favre wanted to be traded.

But it also looked like Thompson was dead set on Aaron Rodgers, regardless of what could have happened otherwise.

I think we all would have been happier if we had the months of "is he going to retire? is he going to play" and found out sometime in June or July, yeah, he's coming back.

But at this point, I'm glad they traded him, as long as it wasn't the Vikings or the Bears. Right now, had the Packers said "yeah, okay, after weeks of drama, Brett, you can be the the starter" I think that there would be too much of a divide for them to be able to work well as a team.

Was he treated badly? It's possible, we don't know the whole story, only what they release. But that's the nature of the game. Given Favre's history, yeah, we all thought he'd always be a Packer. But we thought that about Reggie White too. In the end, just like White, unless the Jets win the SuperBowl this year or next, Favre is always going to be a Packer, doesn't matter what other colors he wears.

And Rodgers may suck, we'll see. I grew up on football, and remember pre-Favre games. We call these the rebuilding years.

Whew.... the Vikes didn't get him, thank you, they didn't need him. Farve should have stayed retired, had he played at MN I'd have had to watch only the Colts. Farve is gonna flop in NY, and the media there won't care if he is Farve or not, he scews up he'll get an ear full from the NY media.

Anyway, time for the Vikes to give the Pack a few post Farve spankings

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Have you been following any of the drama about Favre un-retiring?
    Yes, we have a television. Those who have one know it was virtually impossible not to have this story shoved down your throat. Thank goodness the Olympics started...

I really had no opinion on most of this. I'm a fan of Favre's, sure, but whether he stayed retired or not was not a big deal to me.

As for the Pack, I think the actual events that took place are quite different than they played out in the media. IMO, folks have been way too critical of the team management without knowing the facts. As Adina said, they've been dealing with this soap opera on and off for many years now. I think they had enough, then decided they had to at least get something for him.

To me, the real fun begins September 7th, the opening game of the season. My Dolphins (who signed ex-Jet QB Chad Pennington today) play the Jets...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Monday night football is only two days away!!!! Packers are playing Cinncinati...

Like I said, Favre being traded gives us one more game to watch. We usually just watch the Packers play, but we are interested in seeing how Favre does this year. I was explaining to the girls how now instead of only spending half the day Sunday getting ready for and watching football, we get to spend ALL day getting ready and watching football. WooHoo!

GB1

If they didn't want him, RELEASE HIM. But I guess the NFL doesn't work like that anymore. Teams play that selfish game and manipulate things to get draft picks. Honor means nothing. The player's left blowing in the wind. The system's nearly broken, they need to fix it.

(big NFL fan) GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

If they didn't want him, RELEASE HIM. But I guess the NFL doesn't work like that anymore. Teams play that selfish game and manipulate things to get draft picks. Honor means nothing. The player's left blowing in the wind. The system's nearly broken, they need to fix it.

(big NFL fan) GB
    The fix would have been for Farve to stay retired, I am tired of people retiring and the next thing you know they are back...Farve, Mark Martin a host of bands, the list goes on....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

If they didn't want him, RELEASE HIM...
    Well, I agree with you in spirit, but you have to remember, the issue that made things really difficult is that Brett came back with the full intention of playing...make that starting for the Packers this year. Not just any team.

That's what Green Bay management, at some point, decided wasn't going to happen. Then NFL business kicked in...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information