• 07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
    mdvaden
    912 Project meeting - very well coordinated
    This Saturday, July 11th, was my first visit to a 912 Project meeting. I took the advice of some customers - ones I’ve done tree care for at their home, business, and local Rotary Club. The meeting was for the local Oregon 912 Project, held in Lake Oswego.

www.oregon912project.com

It was very informative. One big surprise was the level of organization and professionalism. The group included professionals, business owners, retirees and others. The amount of volunteered professional skill was evident.

Maybe the most outstanding for me, was the talk by a man who used to be an Oregon congressman on the Ways and Means committee. He showed a graph regarding Oregon’s budget from the 1970s until the present. He showed that in 1979 and 1980, the Oregon budget declined to accommodate hard economical times, and that it was a Republican Governor and Democrat Congress working together. In contrast, the graph showed that the current financial problem is being is being addressed with a larger budget: increased spending. This speaker said that Oregon has a $3,000,000,000.00 or so surplus, not dedicated to any line-item. And that this huge unadvertised reserve could eliminate the need to raise taxes on the cash-strapped citizens.

Between college classes, serving 6 years on the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board, and other experiences, this meeting was one of the best functions I’ve been to in the past 10 years.

The group is non-partisan. The goal is to help move the country back in a more responsible direction, aligning with liberties stated in the United States Constitution.

From start to finish, the meeting was not an “anti-Obama” gathering, or pro-Republican. It pretty much was all about government for the people and by the people.

It’s part of the larger:

http://theglennbeck912project.com

And must say, the meeting I attended today seemed very unlike watching Glenn Beck. It was responsible people meeting in one of Oregon’s best communities.

This bunch of hard working folks is a group worth checking out if you agree that the “business as usual” in our government not effective for a great America like you would like to see.