Printable View

• 03-15-2007, 01:41 PM
    shutterman
    saw the movie last weekend. It was great! One of the best I've seen in a long time. Great action, hero's, bad guys, good story. All around really cool.

I would not want to meet a Spartan soldier, Persian, or for that matter a Spartan woman (since only they can give birth to real Spartans!).

Go see it!

Thanks,
    Wes
  • 03-15-2007, 03:41 PM
    Frog
    Re: 300
    I'm not very interested in the film but did watch a show on The History Channel about it.
    I also heard the Iranians were quite upset about how the Persians were depicted.
    Boo-hoo, sob-sniff!
  • 03-15-2007, 03:48 PM
    livin4lax09
    oh man it was an awesome movie! we got a free pre-screening last monday night, and the theatre was packed to the brim! I got goosebumps so many times throughout the film. The blue-screen work really just allowed them to take it to a whole different level, and the more i read about the film and the production, the more appreciation I have for it.
  • 03-15-2007, 04:05 PM
    Didache
    I have heard exciting things about the film too .. I just hope that people don't think that it is terribly accurate historically. Hollywood has a tendency to redefine things like that.

Mike
  • 03-15-2007, 05:48 PM
    MJS
    Half of my geeks, errr I mean students, saw it last week and the other half and I are going this weekend. I can't wait to see how well they pulled off the CGI and live action shots. Should be pretty cool from all I've read.
  • 03-15-2007, 10:46 PM
    walterick
    I've seen previews and it looks visually stunning. The acting looked poor though? Any comments?

And what's the story on the CGI? A new devleopment here?

Rick
  • 03-16-2007, 07:19 AM
    adina
    dh is going to see it today. I will be having lunch with my sil. He is totally into movies like that, with all the special effects and stuff. I like my movies predicitable, with a nice happy ending.
  • 03-16-2007, 08:21 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    dh is going to see it today. I will be having lunch with my sil. He is totally into movies like that, with all the special effects and stuff. I like my movies predicitable, with a nice happy ending.

I dunno. Looks to me like a CGI Troy in sepia. My guess is this is more for the young male "video game" crowd... :cornut:

BTW, s-i-l is hyphenated... :D
  • 03-16-2007, 09:36 AM
    shutterman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    I've seen previews and it looks visually stunning. The acting looked poor though? Any comments?

Rick

I thought the acting was pretty good, with most of the "acting" (not "fighting") done by the woman playing the queen and a senator (non fighter) back in the city away from the battle. The "fighting" was terrific and there was actually some light-hearted moments including a funny exchange b/n the Spartan King and Xeres.

Thanks,
    Wes
  • 03-16-2007, 02:21 PM
    adina
    Well, he decided on Bridge to Terabithia with my 8 yr old instead. So we'll have to wait on this one.
  • 03-17-2007, 09:22 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Michael, you shouldn't reply to spammers. They should be shunned.

Oh, and then taken out and strung up... :D

BTW, I've already reported them...
  • 03-17-2007, 10:13 AM
    MJS
    CGI is hollywood geek speak for Computer Generated Imagery. Fancy words for cool geek graphics. or as we call it Computer Geek Graphics. In my case, it takes one to know one.
  • 03-17-2007, 12:24 PM
    livin4lax09
    a lot of people are complaining about the how fake the blood is, how fake all the fighting is, etc. etc. when they don't realize this was based off a graphic novel. Much like sin city, the main point was to come as close to the original novel as possible. Sin city had incredibly predictable acting and bad line delivery, but that was the intent. It was supposed to be like an old film noir. Same with 300. The blood is supposed to look fake, partly because they wanted to preserve the original comic experience, and also just because they could do a lot more 2d blood and still get an R rating. The plot is nothing amazing, and it's not supposed to be. It came off a stylized graphic novel about 300 spartans defending their freedom, and it is a stylized film about 300 spartans defending their freedom. Anyone who is trying to dig for a deeper meaning of the film or expecting the most thought provoking plot is going to be disappointed. You just have to watch this film for what it is: an incredibly well done action and fighting film, so filled with badassness that it makes you want to go out and fight when you step out of the theatre. That is all.
  • 03-17-2007, 08:33 PM
    barb_48
    I went this afternoon to see 300, and I was not disappointed. Great story line, wish it didn't end so soon. Pretty graphic in some parts, but it's only a movie right?
  • 03-17-2007, 11:43 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve

BTW, I've already reported them...

Sorry about that, took me awhile to get online today. I strung him up like a Spartan. Or something.
  • 03-18-2007, 07:22 AM
    MJS
    Sorry about that, I don't even remember clicking on the link.
  • 03-18-2007, 08:39 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    Sorry about that, I don't even remember clicking on the link.

Ah, I was just messin' with ya. Happens to the best of us. I just saw a first time poster with a link to a retail web site... :mad: