PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Thread: Ipod Question

Ipod Question

Am preparing to buy my grandaughter an Ipod Shuffle, do I have to have Itunes to load mp3 music files on it, if not what are the alternatives? Also
    can I just drag and drop music files onto it from my library of ripped music from my cd collections? How does the playback of songs work if I can just drag and drop?

bluesguy

Re: Ipod Question

Yes you have to have I-Tunes to load songs on any I-Pod, that is the only way, plus you have to convert the mp3 to the Apple format.

Yes after you convert the files then you just drag and drop. I am not sure if you have to make different folders yourself for each artist or music category.

My buddy has an I-Pod and I have music on my computer, if he wants a few songs he has to convert them then load the converted format onto his I-Pod. So that also means that I have I-Tunes loaded on my computer so he can use it. After he is done converting the songs he just erases them or else I will have two files of the same song.

James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Yes you have to have I-Tunes to load songs on any I-Pod, that is the only way, plus you have to convert the mp3 to the Apple format.

Yes after you convert the files then you just drag and drop. I am not sure if you have to make different folders yourself for each artist or music category.

My buddy has an I-Pod and I have music on my computer, if he wants a few songs he has to convert them then load the converted format onto his I-Pod. So that also means that I have I-Tunes loaded on my computer so he can use it. After he is done converting the songs he just erases them or else I will have two files of the same song.

James
    Thanks James,
    Did you load Itunes from your music collection or were the tunes purchased and downloaded from Apple via Itunes?
    Also what software program did you use to do the conversiom, amd was/is it free?

bluesguy

Once you install iTunes, it'll ask if you want to convert music files it finds so that they work in iTunes. Say yes, and they'll automatically show up. I have only bought about ten songs from iTunes, the rest were imported by inserting the CD into the computer and iTunes will then copy them.

Hint: Backup your iTunes library to DVD if you have a lot of stuff on it.

Another Hint: If you have a lot of songs to import, buy a cheap (mine was used for $20) external USB CD reader. No reason to put all the wear and tear on an internal drive, especially if it's a laptop.

Big thanks to all who replied. Just ordered an Ipod Shuffle. Will look into a usb CD reader.

bluesguy

Thread Information