Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Tip for on camera flash

Many times you might be shooting with your on camera flash whether it is the built in flash or one attached to the hot shoe. There will be times when you need to adjust the power of the flash. I will tell you how to do this the easiest and fastest way so you can turn the power up and down in a few seconds. When you are using the on board flash or a speed-light all you need to do is have the flash on TTL and use modes "M", "A", or "S" and if you find the output of the flash is too high just press the EV + or - button near the shutter button and rotate the thumb wheel on the rear of the camera. You can see the change in the viewfinder, top or rear LCD screens. Doing this will allow you to raise or lower the power of the flash by 5 stops. This comes in very handy if you are using flash and the subject is up close. As always you need to remember to change it back to zero or the normal default position when finished. The picture below was taken with on camera flash at about two feet away and by adjusting the flash the picture was not blown out.

This was taken this morning and is straight out of the camera with zero adjustments except to re-size so I could post it. It was also taken in one shot and then she took off.

Name:  DSC_9270.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  177.3 KB
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Tip for on camera flash

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I don't use flash very often, but when doing macro work will certainly use this. I just checked it out on my Canon speedlite, and the M mode fits your instructions.

So what did you adjust your flash output to on the photo above? Did you use in-camera metering to determine how much -Ev to set, or was your decision based on experience?
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I don't use flash very often, but when doing macro work will certainly use this. I just checked it out on my Canon speedlite, and the M mode fits your instructions.

So what did you adjust your flash output to on the photo above? Did you use in-camera metering to determine how much -Ev to set, or was your decision based on experience?
    I was so close and knew it would be blown out so I guessed, a little from experience, and chose minus 4. It might have been a little better at 3.5 but I didn't get a second shot. I think the catch lights in the eyes made it look nice.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The eyes of the beautiful girl look remarkably like the eyes of the doll
    Wonderful shot Jeff

Thanks Ken and Armondo. I know many of you might have known already that your flash can be adjusted from the menu in the camera or with the menus on the flash but I have to believe that there are many people that were unaware of it being able to be done or this method of doing it. This can be helpful on any closeups such as flowers or macros to add a little fill in flash without blowing out the highlights. It is simple and quick. I might add that this will also work with off camera flash as well.

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    The eyes of the beautiful girl look remarkably like the eyes of the doll
    Wonderful shot Jeff

I am totally agree with armando_m. The eyes of the beautiful girl look remarkably like the eyes of the doll. Generally we saw that many times you might be shooting with your on camera flash whether it is the built in flash. So, I am really impressed with your tips and representation of the information in your post.

Thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by jakson View Post
    I am totally agree with armando_m. The eyes of the beautiful girl look remarkably like the eyes of the doll. Generally we saw that many times you might be shooting with your on camera flash whether it is the built in flash. So, I am really impressed with your tips and representation of the information in your post.

Thank you..
    Thanks Jackson, for your comments on the picture and also the tips comment. I like sharing anything that I pick up or learn with others. Sometimes it is something simple and some tips are more involved but hopefully they have helped many people over the years. I am always trying to learn something new that will make my shooting a little easier and more fun and sharing it with others is just an added bonus.

zoelav1221

What camera and flash?

Quote Originally Posted by zoelav1221 View Post
    What camera and flash?
    I know this is a very late reply do to having missed your post. This was taken with a D600 and on board flash. I believe this will work with most any of the Nikon cameras.

Looking two doll...

Thread Information