Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Thread: Rip

Unhappy Rip

RIP Photography Review.

Adios amigos.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Re: Rip

Who cares... You still contribute on that other site, the one with all the Mirrorless propagandists.

Facebook has swept it all away. Get some real Friends.

BTW I advise you to delete all photos you have put in your gallery. If Photography Review does disappear then someone may start reusing them without your consent
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Charles, don't do any social media like facebook, twitter etc. Not in the habit of sharing any personal info with the social media idiots. See you around now and then on the other site, even though there are way too many idiots there as well.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

GB1

It is beyond a shame on the demise of PR. I have yet to find another site that comes anywhere close to the intelligent, educated critique I've received here. Maybe it will come back to life one day?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB1, one can only hope. Don't hold your breath. Totally agree with your comment regarding this once fine site versus others out there.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

My friends on Facebook are not idiots. They are a loose collection of people that I have met over the years and that I don't see any more but I want to stay in touch with.

In particular there are lots of my models and fellow photographers which often inspires me to do better, in particular when its from a shooting where I was present and somebody else had a better vision than me (often happens).

Facebook is an excellent medium to share content between photographers and models. It is full of images. I choose my postings carefully and I have some control over who sees it. And there are no discussions about gear.
    Charles

No offence meant Charles. If very selective about how one uses Facebook, I think it's just fine. As for myself, I tried it once and got tired of all the notifications I received from strangers that wanted to add me as a contact. I'm just too private for social media.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Strange. I rarely get invitations from people I've never met. I have several ploys:

1. All my publications are only visible to my friends (about 250 people)
    2. I almost never identify my subjects, especially models with thousands of followers.
    3. I publish one photo per week, carefully chosen. It's enough

I don't care about attracting a wide audience. My web site is my place to go public
    Charles

I am very curious as the what other folks think caused the demise of this, and other forums. When PR died, so did a couple other photography forums I participated in. Someone suggested to me that because forums of that time didn't typically offer a "Like" button and had a relatively small audience, many photogs departed and headed to FB, Instagram, 500px, etc. If that is true, then it would seem those people (in general, not every one of them) really were looking for acceptance, atta-boys, and attention by the general public, rather than constructive input and comments by other practitioners of the art. If that is the case, I don't know why it ended up being a one, or the other choice. Couldn't a person participate in one format to grow and the other to share? And doesn't the positive and thoughtful input of another person who shares a passion for photography mean a lot more than a thumbs-up and "Amazeballs Pix!!!" comments from a cell phone photographer that you may not even know?

What do you folks think?
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    I am very curious as the what other folks think caused the demise of this, and other forums. When PR died, so did a couple other photography forums I participated in. Someone suggested to me that because forums of that time didn't typically offer a "Like" button and had a relatively small audience, many photogs departed and headed to FB, Instagram, 500px, etc. If that is true, then it would seem those people (in general, not every one of them) really were looking for acceptance, atta-boys, and attention by the general public, rather than constructive input and comments by other practitioners of the art. If that is the case, I don't know why it ended up being a one, or the other choice. Couldn't a person participate in one format to grow and the other to share? And doesn't the positive and thoughtful input of another person who shares a passion for photography mean a lot more than a thumbs-up and "Amazeballs Pix!!!" comments from a cell phone photographer that you may not even know?

What do you folks think?
    You hit the nail on the head Ken - many of the other sites are simply atta-boy generators, w/ little to no feedback.

Layman sites (like FB) are like that, but even dedicated photo sites can be also. E.g., photos.net has some incredible photographers posting on its site, but the comments are almost all atta-boy like... When I have made constructive comments, they're either ignored or seem to have irked the photographer.

It appears that each site has its own personality/culture. I sometimes use fotozones.com now, which is OK, but I am spoiled by the great days of PR.

I actually had a dream about three months ago where PR came back to life!... a prophecy? You never know.

My Site

Liz

It's interesting to read this thread.....and other similar ones now and then. How much would it take for a "new beginning" here? I mean, some of us could keep posting, sharing photos and some of the other fun thing we shared. It doesn't look like we need any type of permission, authorization, etc. Of course PR does have it's glitches. Sometimes I find it almost impossible to type (like yesterday). Today it's fine.

We could attempt to contact other members (private messages/email info is still listed here) to see if anyone else is interested. I know Jeff (Grandpaw) has come around, but I haven't seen him in a while. I emailed and pm'd him yesterday to ask how he is doing.

Maybe some who might be interested have skills that could fix and/or straighten some of the glitches - or does that take sometype of authorization?

Just a thought.....nice to read your posts! I still like PR! I only go on dpreview once in awhile now, it is not the same.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Hi Liz, good to hear from you! Perhaps one of the former moderators has had better luck than me in contacting the owners of this site. I never received a response. Because of the spammers, I would be hesitant to try to get anything serious going here unless we had folks with keys to the kingdom to clean house and keep law and order. Without that, I think it will be short-lived. Starting fresh with a new site and URL may be the better option if we can muster a critical mass of interested parties.

Greg, our experience has been very similar it seems.

Rather than starting from scratch or trying to resuscitate this site, what would you think of establishing a moderated Facebook page? I participate in a Minimalist Photography group that is very disciplined and is staffed by a number of moderators who can often set the bar by the comments they make when allowing a photo to enter the forum. It isn't perfect, as people can still just click the "Like" button, but there is also a lot of learning that goes on there and some good back-and-forth discussion. With a number of seasoned moderators, I think it could flow very well. And being connected to FB would make it easy to network in many of the folks who haunted the PR halls in years past, while acknowledging that FB is the format people seem to want to associate with today.

Thoughts?
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

All the photos I post are perfect (according to me). I don't want any competition judge to start making comments on them ("This sort of thing passed 10 years ago but not today..")

I like Facebook comments where a wide audience that I have selected show their appreciation or stays silent. I was delighted by the feedback I got last Sunday where many people that I hadn't seen for years suddenly liked the image I'd posted. Made me feel like I'd chosen the right image.

I always saw this forum as a gear forum. 10 years ago was the hayday with the passage from film to digital and huge advances every year in the quality of the results.

Today full-format DSLR's have reached a magnificent plateau where the results are more than good enough for just about anyone and even affordable for most people. There's nothing to discuss any more. People are out shooting.

The one surviving gear forum (DPReview) is full of mirrorless fans. Mirrorless still needs to make a lot of progress and there is lots of passionate discussion.
    Charles

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Hi Liz, good to hear from you! Perhaps one of the former moderators has had better luck than me in contacting the owners of this site. I never received a response. Because of the spammers, I would be hesitant to try to get anything serious going here unless we had folks with keys to the kingdom to clean house and keep law and order. Without that, I think it will be short-lived. Starting fresh with a new site and URL may be the better option if we can muster a critical mass of interested parties.

Greg, our experience has been very similar it seems.

Rather than starting from scratch or trying to resuscitate this site, what would you think of establishing a moderated Facebook page? I participate in a Minimalist Photography group that is very disciplined and is staffed by a number of moderators who can often set the bar by the comments they make when allowing a photo to enter the forum. It isn't perfect, as people can still just click the "Like" button, but there is also a lot of learning that goes on there and some good back-and-forth discussion. With a number of seasoned moderators, I think it could flow very well. And being connected to FB would make it easy to network in many of the folks who haunted the PR halls in years past, while acknowledging that FB is the format people seem to want to associate with today.

Thoughts?
    Although FB isn't perfect, I think our own group -- let's call it PR-Refugees -- should work. It would be limited to a small number of photo geeks (like us ) and geared towards in-depth responses. Since I don't think you can make folders or categories on a FB group, we might need separate ones for critique, viewfinder, etc. Plus, limiting it to a small number of photography buffs should keep the amt of spam low (I don't hardly see any on FB. They prob have automated code that removes it).

GB

My Site

Liz

I think Facebook is a good idea. Believe it or not, I've never been on Facebook. My family who lives in Florida (I'm in New Jersey) has been after me to join. So this is the perfect incentive to finally join!

I just moved into a new apartment, still living out of boxes - and am going on vacation for a week beginning this Saturday so I won't be around until I get back - but I'm in with the idea and will look forward to the process!

We could also try to contact some of our friends from PR to see who else would be interested.

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Seems this thread has grown beyond the Nikon forum.

I posted my comments related to this topic in the Site Feedback forum for whatever it's worth.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

And by the way, some of the possible solutions discussed here would do me no good - I have never had an account on ANY social media other than this one
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information