Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Thread: Repair question

Repair question

So like a big dummy I placed my camera bag on top of my luggage and it toppled over onto a carpeted floor. I didn't think much of it as the camera was in a bag that provides some protection and I turned it on and checked the lens focus and everything seemed okay. However, when I went to take some pics later in the day I noticed that the camera was not processing light properly. When shooting indoors with either the built in flash or my SB-400 there pictures were almost entirely black except for small spots with high levels of light. When shooting outdoors I got the same results. I would have to set the shutter speed to a couple seconds in order to get any light at all. I tried shooting in everything from full auto to full manual and got the same results. I also switched lenses from my new 18-200mm VR to my old 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR lenses. I even "reset" the camera settings but to no avail. I removed the lens and when I shake the camera next to my ear there is a noticeable rattle like a piece has broken off inside the camera.

I realize that I'm going to have to get this fixed in order to have a fully functional camera again but can't decide if I should sent it to Nikon or if I should use a local Nikon certified repair station. I'm in DC so Strauss Photo-Technical Services is my only option besides sending it to Nikon.

Does anyone have any experience with Strauss? According to their website they've been around a long time but I also read that ownership changed a couple years back and service has slipped. I also checked out their location on Google Streetview and it doesn't exactly look like the most modern facility to say the least. It looks more like an auto repair shop than a camera repair shop.

How about Nikon's repair service? I'm sure it's top notch but I'd like a ballpark idea of what this repair will cost and how long it will take. Any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Repair question

I spoke with someone at Nikon customer service and according to him the turn-around time once they receive the camera is only 7-10 business days. He also mentioned that the repair cost could range anywhere from $50 to $190 depending on what's wrong with it. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by both pieces of information.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

That's good to know.....thanks for the info.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I shipped it off today so I'll report back when I hear something from Nikon.

Thread Information