Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>
    Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

Unhappy Frustrating 70-300 lens, may need repair

Hi all. Recently, my 70-300 f-5.6 G lens has been really weird. When i mount it, the pictures and the viewfinder look super soft. This has never happened before. How do i turn it in for service, as if through the mail?

Here are two photos. They are never this soft. EVER! :cryin:

excuse the bad framing

example 2

I tried my other lens and the photos are fine...

Thanks in advance.

-josh

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Frustrating 70-300 lens, may need repair

Seems like something is wrong here for sure.

Did you drop the lens or the bag it was in?

Can you get me a *clear * (i.e. properly exposed so nothing is overly washed out) pic of the lens mount? Does the lens focusing gearing turn properly when you turn the focus ring when not mounted? is the AF motor engaging the lens properly?

Nikon service is pretty easy to handle. You just put your contact info and a description of the problem on a paper, print out a few copies, box up the lens and ship it to one of their service centers (the one for you is in CA, it's based on your location) and they'll look at it. If you include proof of purchase and the warranty card (photocopies are OK) then it should be serviced free of charge.

Nikon will then return the lens to you quickly and in 99.99% of cases, working perfectly.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

thanks. i took your advice, called them up, boxed it up, and it should be on its way. I wonder what happened; it may have been the accidental drop in the bag because the last time i used it was 2 days ago, and it was working perfectly. Here are pics of it working okay.

-josh

yeah. That's the one problem with plastic fantastics like the 70-300. Good lenses until they take the wrong kind of hit. We have one at school and I'm careful to warn the kids who check it out about accidentally damaging it.

Good luck with the repair! let us know what happens.
    Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    yeah. That's the one problem with plastic fantastics like the 70-300. Good lenses until they take the wrong kind of hit. We have one at school and I'm careful to warn the kids who check it out about accidentally damaging it.

Good luck with the repair! let us know what happens.
    i knew it would come one of these days. I'm glad it was during my warranty.

wow your school has these! our school is pretty canon-oriented, which means i had to buy all my equipment. BOOOOO. I'm interested in what kind of school this is...

-josh

hmmm - I have this lens too. It is pretty sharp optically. Good to know they can be "delicate". I may have to sell it and get a lens with a nicer build quality.

I like canon gear too. I went Nikon because I found a better deal on the camera and a lot of my friends have Nikon gear I can mooch. But Canon is good stuff and having a school provide gear is nice. I had to buy my own when I was in school. I had a k1000 forever...

I've used the "ED" version of this lens and was pretty impressed with it. This lens has a bit tougher design to it, but really any lens can get damaged surprisingly easily. Just takes once. I have a friend that bumped one of his F5's off a coffee table onto the carpeted floor 18" below. It knocked the viewfinder prism loose - but these cameras can handle all kinds of other abuse.

ravenmore, if you're happy with the lens you have I'd keep it. If something ever goes wrong with it you might consider a better lens at that point, but with any luck you won't have to worry about that.

we're a mostly-nikon school, but everything the photo club has to loan out is donated gear from me and from a family friend.
    Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I've used the "ED" version of this lens and was pretty impressed with it. This lens has a bit tougher design to it, but really any lens can get damaged surprisingly easily. Just takes once. I have a friend that bumped one of his F5's off a coffee table onto the carpeted floor 18" below. It knocked the viewfinder prism loose - but these cameras can handle all kinds of other abuse.

ravenmore, if you're happy with the lens you have I'd keep it. If something ever goes wrong with it you might consider a better lens at that point, but with any luck you won't have to worry about that.
    hehe - too late. Found a screamin' deal on a 80-200mm f2.8 on ebay so I got it. I shoot bands in dark clubs so the 80-200mm is a better choice for that. I'm selling the 70-300mm to defray the cost, but I didn't realize how cheap this lens is going for on Ebay right now. I might get $100 for it. Its a better lens than that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmore
    I shoot bands in dark clubs so the 80-200mm is a better choice
    Reason enough! A lot of times I've found f2.8 to be barely enough even though it will be a huge improvement. You might want to consider the 85 f1.8 as well which is 1-1/3 stops faster yet. Then there's the amazing 85 f1.4... Not that you need to shoot it wide open (but you have the option) but the viewfinder will be just that much brighter and AF system will work faster because of it.

Thread Information