Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Nikon D3200 tips to stop using auto and start using manual modes

I am stuck on auto mode for the two years Ive owned my D3200. Im too nervous to use manual! Any ideas?
    -Becky L.

Re: Nikon D3200 tips to stop using auto and start using manual modes

95% of the time auto mode works just fine. You need to look at YOUR photos with a critical eye and pick out the technical failures:
    - identify why you think they could be better
    - what has the camera done wrong
    - what you want the camera to do
    - how can you set up the camera so that it does what you want

For instance, this afternoon I will go to an air display and SOME of the time I will use manual mode for two reasons, based on past experience:

1. I want the propellers on the aircraft in flight to look like they are spinning but I want the rest of the aircraft to be sharp even though it's in movement. I've made some experiments and I know that a shutter speed of 1/400s is about right to have the fast-turning propellor blurred but freeze the (relatively) slow moving body of the aircraft
    2. When the aircraft goes overhead against a white sky the body of the aircraft is too dark because the camera is being fooled by the mass of white behind and thinks it's the subject. The light on the subject doesn't vary so I shall note what the camera thinks is the right exposure with the camera on the ground and set the same exposure and ISO manually on the camera when the camera is in the air

When you use manual mode you take control because you think you know better than the camera. Therefore you have to have an understanding of what you are doing. That can only come from studying your images and subjects
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information