Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Lens Question...

I own a Nikon D50 and a Nikon N65. I've been looking lately at getting a new lens. After searching laboriously on the internet and at my local camera store, I'm seeing that I can get a Nikkor, a Sigma or a Tamaron. I was wondering what the actual difference is.

The woman at the camera store started talking up the Nikkor until she realized she was out of them and then she talked up the Tamaron because she wanted to make the sale.

Do the people here use the mfg lenses for their cameras or do they buy others?? Let me know what you think so that I can make a decision.

Thanks, EBAR.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Re: Lens Question...

I don't use Nikon, so I don't know about their lenses. I have bought Sigma and was pleased with their quality. I would recommend purchasing one from them if you have the opportunity.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I'm a bit keen to stick with the brand of the camera. It's deliberately made to suit your particular camera for that very purpose. I do know ppl who have bought Sigma but not Tamron so cant comment. I have a professional friend who swears by her Canon lenses, had a Sigma and it was no where up to standard in quality. She's film only though so dont know what it'd be like for digi.

I use Nikon. I have D70 and N(F)90x. I find the Nikkor lenses to be spot on everytime. But like I say, I've not experienced the other brands personally

It really depends on what range lens you want, how much your willing to spend, and after those descisions do some research as to whether that lens is available in the range and f that you want. Also research users reviews, you may find one company makes that version better than another. I wouldn't use a Tamron myself but they make a couple lenses that are very good.

JS

Well thanks for the response. I've done a lot of research and read a lot of the reviews. I think I'm gonna go with a Nikkor. Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

EBAR

I think it really depends more on the specific lenses you're comparing. Just to throw another one out there, Tokina is another aftermarket manufacturer. I've used a few of their lenses and been very impressed.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

WHAT LENS are you thinking of? Don't tell anyone, but TAMRON makes a few low end NIKKOR lenses for NIKON ;)

When I worked at a camera store the rep for Tamron(who was previously a NIKON rep) told me so.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Well, my girlfriend bought me the Nikon D50. She was told that the lens I have already (Nikkor AF 28-80mm 3.3-5.6G) would work on my digital by the rep. Because of that she didn't get the kit with the 18-55 DX lens. She didn't realize that I would lose some of the wide-angle once I put my 28-80mm on my digital. I figure it's not a big deal because it's obviously a great present and I can spend a few bucks to get another lens.

I just want to get a lens for my digital with which I can regain my wide-angle a bit. I obvisouly don't want to spend too much money but I also want a quality lens.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

AH .... wide huh.

I own a TOKINA 19-35 in NIKON mount that I used 10 times at best, before switching to Canon

PM me if your interested ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information