Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Thread: SD or SDHC ?

SD or SDHC ?

Good morning,
    Could someone please explain to me the differance between a SDand SDHC card, if there is one, and also if the SDHC card will work with a Nikon D50,

Sorry if this sounds stupid but im trying to buy my partner some equipment and am totally confused by all these letters,

Many thanks :mad2:

Re: SD or SDHC ?

SD uses FAT 12/16 format, SDHC uses FAT 32 format. Whether or not the D50 can accept SDHC cards should be explained in the owner's manual.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

The D50 does not accept SDHC, I know this for a fact after I tryed a HC card in my D50, I just stick to 2GB cards and I only shoot in RAW with the D50 and it holds if I do remember right something right at or near 200 shots on a 2gb card.

SD = Secure Digital
    SDHC = Secure Digital High Capacity (D50 won't accept it)
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Sorry to dig this up but is this still true ( 2GB max sd ) or has there been a firmware update to accept SDHC cards ?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I don't think adding more capacity like that can be done in firmware.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I don't think adding more capacity like that can be done in firmware
    Yup, this is quite possible. Check out the following link: (Leica M8).http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...irmware200.asp

Google "SD to SDHC firmware update" and you will also get several hits - including some for the Pentax *ist series.

If there has been an update for the Nikon D50 - I don't know.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    SD/Secure Digital = 2 GB max.
    SDHC/Secure Digital High Capacity = 4+ GB

Also, beware of the 4+ memory cards which ONLY say SD. These may not be compatible with your camera.

I personally prefer to carry around a couple of 1 GB/2 GB cards, because of the possibility of the following scenario: Suppose that you are out shooting with a single memory card – a very expensive 8GB or maybe even a 16GB, then after nearly filling it up with once-in-a-lifetime shots, the card suddenly decides to quit. Result: Loss of thousands of photos, and the inability to take more, since that huge card was the only one you had.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Then they must have designed it with enough address lines to the memory controller to handle more than 2GB. Cheaper designs might have built-in restrictions. Looks like Leica made a future proof design.

It doesn't say that they didn't support SDHC before, it may be that was just a change of the formatting applied to the card. Using larger blocks will allow them to store much more data, at the expense of more wasted space if the files are not an exact multiple of blocks.

I too prefer to use more, smaller, cards.
    But my last trip to Costco they had stopped selling 2G CF cards and only had 4G in stock ... at the same price 2G were last month !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

But my last trip to Costco they had stopped selling 2G CF cards and only had 4G in stock ... at the same price 2G were last month !
    Same is happening in the local photo stores around here. Most of the 1GB SD cards are gone, with 2GBs on "clearance sale" almost all the time.

Then they must have designed it with enough address lines to the memory controller to handle more than 2GB. Cheaper designs might have built-in restrictions. Looks like Leica made a future proof design.
    My Fuji F40 point-and-shoot only supports SD but there is a firmware upgrade to allow it to support SDHC. I tried to do the upgarde and something went wrong so I didn't bother. I can get thousands of photos or 30 minutes of video on the 2GB SD card I have in the camera now.

I can get at least 600 photos RAW+JPG onto the 8GB SDHC card in the D60 and if that's not enough I have a 16GB card in my ARCHOS that usually has films on it that I could use as well. And these cards are all relatively cheap - another 16GB 6x card would cost me 32 Euros today. (6x is fast)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Memory cards are getting cheaper and with larger capacities very quickly. A few weeks ago I read an article about the anouncement of 100GB CF cards. (No kidding!).

Thread Information