Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

D90 Error - Err (flashing)

Hi All,

I was using my D90 today (first time in a good while), and an error occured "Err" now the camera will not fire and displays this flashing "Err" error.

I think I may have moved the F stop inadvertently at some critical point but cannot be sure.

I was trying things like remove and return battery and card, fully charge battery , clean lens connections, but to no avail.

One thing I could not do was "UN-Lock mirror for cleaning" it seems to be permenantly greyed out, and I wonder if this is part of my issue.

Any pointers appreciated.

Re: D90 Error - Err (flashing)

Err is described in the manual as simply "Camera malfunction." It says to trip the shutter and see if it continues, but you can't trip the shutter. The mirror lock-up for cleaning requires a shutter trip, also, as it opens and holds open the shutter to expose the sensor.

Of course the next thing the manual says about Err is to consult your Nikon-authorized service representative.

"Camera malfunction" implies to me a mechanical issue with the shutter.

Only question I can come up with for checking it is, does it happen with any lens?

Typically this error occurs when you are using a lens with an aperture ring (example: 50mm f1.8 D type) and you have moved the aperture off the smallest setting. Normally there is a lock to prevent you from moving it. Just put the lens back on the smallest setting.

All Nikon DSLR's are designed to set the aperture from the camera, not the lens.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Franglais,wfooshee,Charles,

Thank you for your help, camera now returned to working order, I believe the route cause was that I had acidently moved f stop on the lens and not via the camera, dropping to lowest f stop allowed a shutter release and the error did clear.

The lens I was using at the time was a Tokina 11-16 F2.8 DX, fyi.

Well, now I'm confused... There's no aperture ring on the Tokina 11-16, unless there's an older version I can't find anything about. Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just confused.

Franglais is correct that a D-type CPU lens has to be left at its smallest aperture on the ring, but from what I'm seeing, the Tokina is like a G-type lens with no aperture ring, and thus no way to "confuse" the camera with an incorrect aperture setting.

Thread Information