Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Help with D7100 Moving Focus Point Please????

I have spent hours alone with my new D7100 and with a professional photographer who shoots with Nikons. We cannot for the life of us figure this ONE Question out. How do you MOVE THE FOCUS POINT (Focal Point) without being in Manual Focus Mode? We can do it without a problem on his Nikon (I think it was a D90). Yes we've tried Page 75 of the manual. It does not work.

I will further clarify: If we put the camera in Manual Focus, it allows us to move the focus point around both while viewing the Monitor screen in the INFO mode and while looking in to the camera viewfinder. We CAN see the highlighted focal point and move it around with the d-pad.

But we cannot do this in the Auto-Focus mode. And, YES WE ARE in AF-S (single servo auto-focus).

I would be so incredibly grateful for help in resolving this incredibly challenging issue.

I have searched the manual high and low and cannot find the solution. I have even contacted Nikon but all they did was refer me to page 75!

Thank you!
    Ratings

Re: Help with D7100 Moving Focus Point Please????

I think you are in a Scene mode. Many of the Scene modes, such as Portrait, Child, etc. remove focus point selection from the photographer, automatically selecting by closest subject or some other programmed parameter.

My D7000 indicates this by removing the focus point highlight from the viewfinder, and if I set manual focus, it comes back, as you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    I think you are in a Scene mode. Many of the Scene modes, such as Portrait, Child, etc. remove focus point selection from the photographer, automatically selecting by closest subject or some other programmed parameter.

My D7000 indicates this by removing the focus point highlight from the viewfinder, and if I set manual focus, it comes back, as you describe.
    Thank you Wfooshee! Already figured out but just in case anyone is wondering:

I had single servo AF-S. I had the Focus Selector in the Unlock position and focus tracking Off. What I couldn't figure out if anyone else is reading this, is this: When you depress the Focus Mode Selector (M or AF), you can select AF-C, AF-S and AF-A by turning the Main Command Dial on the Back of the camera BUT IF YOU TURN the Sub Command Dial on the front of the camera when you depress the Focus Mode Selector, you can get the SINGLE POINT!!!! Only then can you move the Focus Point. You must have this set to Single Point in order to be able to move the focus point around. Even Nikon sent me to page 75 which was not the answer! The simple answer is that the camera must be in Single Point Auto Focus Area Mode IN ORDER to move the focus point (or you can do it in Manual Focus)!

Well, that's different than my D7000, then. I can be in 39-point continuous 3D and still adjust the focus point. All I'm adjusting if in 3D continuous is the starting point. Once the shutter goes to half-press, tracking starts on whatever was in the selected area.

Thread Information