Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Nikon D80 or D50 and 18-200mm VR or Kit Lens'? PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you for reading this plea, I am desperate for some advice from a seasoned Nikon user. I have been agonizing over this decision, making up my mind, changing my mind, reading review after review after review, you know the drill...

ANYWAY,

I have it narrowed down to two major decisions:

Body - a Nikon D50 or D80? I have read some unflattering reviews of the D80, yet it seems more modern.

Lens - Do I save some money and go with a two lens kit of 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens' OR do I need to spend the big bucks on the 18-200mm VR lens??????

About me - I would consider myself an amatuer hobby photographer. I am "upgrading" from a film SLR and a digital point and shoot that I'd like to ditch into the sewer. I shoot lots of lame low light photos (something that I really want to change), lots of action (kids and animals mostly), lots of nature close-ups (low light in the forrest) and landscapes.

As far as MONEY goes, I want to buy what I need and not regret it. I will find a way to buy what I need, but don't want to buy what I really do not need.

Thank you so much for your help!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Nikon D80 or D50 and 18-200mm VR or Kit Lens'? PLEASE HELP!!!

Where have you seen unflattering reviews?
    I've heard nothing but good things about the D80, and know several owners of it who are extraordinarily pleased with it.
    If you can swing it, the D80 would be worth it if only for the better LCD and viewfinder, and better AF system.

The 18-200 VR is a nice lens. It's the best one at waht it does- an 11x zoom. That doesn't make it excellent, however.

If you don't want to spend so much on the hard to find 18-200, consider the 18-70mm DX, which is a fantastic lens at a lower cost.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm happy with my d80 and the focus and speed of focus are excellent imho.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Lots of good choices - what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by shulamith
    Thank you for reading this plea, I am desperate for some advice from a seasoned Nikon user. I have been agonizing over this decision, making up my mind, changing my mind, reading review after review after review, you know the drill...

ANYWAY,

I have it narrowed down to two major decisions:

Body - a Nikon D50 or D80? I have read some unflattering reviews of the D80, yet it seems more modern.

Lens - Do I save some money and go with a two lens kit of 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens' OR do I need to spend the big bucks on the 18-200mm VR lens??????

About me - I would consider myself an amatuer hobby photographer. I am "upgrading" from a film SLR and a digital point and shoot that I'd like to ditch into the sewer. I shoot lots of lame low light photos (something that I really want to change), lots of action (kids and animals mostly), lots of nature close-ups (low light in the forrest) and landscapes.

As far as MONEY goes, I want to buy what I need and not regret it. I will find a way to buy what I need, but don't want to buy what I really do not need.

Thank you so much for your help!
    I read the reviews people post on Internet with interest - after all I write some myself. But mostly I trust the reviews in the magazines, particularly Chasseurs d'Images (French mag) which does an in-depth technical analysis of the camera.

Chasseurs d'Images says:

- there are no major problems with the D80. The only weakness is the simplified exposure meter (coming from the D50) which is easier to confuse than the one in the D200
    - the D50 is outclassed by the D40 announced last week. If I were you I would forget about the D50. Both the D40 and the D50 have the simplified exposure meter plus the sensor has a tendency to burn out highlights rather abruptly.

So let's say your choice is now between the D40 and the D80, what possibilities do you have?

- it looks like the D40 will only be sold with the 18-55 at first so your only solution is to use the 55-200. All the review I've seen of this lens say it's OK but not very fast autofocus plus the lens mount is made of plastic. Overall I would say this combination is for the casual snapshooter.
    - I have both the 18-70 and the 18-200. Both are excellent - I haven't found anything to criticise even on the 18-200. Both are built to last a reasonably long time (they are not as well built as pro lenses).

If I were you I would get the D80 and 18-200. Surprise - it's the most expensive solution but then the best usually is.

Charles

Thank you for your time and replies. I have made a purchase! I guess you could say I looked for the signs...

Was browsing the National Geographic magazine while riding shotgun on the way to Costco, and viola! a gorgeous ad for the D80. I think hmmmm, maybe it's a sign. Walk into Costco... look UP, and there it is... all bundled together in a bright yellow box:

D80 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Nikkor lens' plus a bag to hold it all and a 512mb SD card (will need to upgrade that, but I can snap a photo without waiting). All for a reasonable price $1299.00. No shipping to deal with, can have it RIGHT NOW, and no more searching the web for good deals from reputable dealers.

I could not deny myself any longer! I figure I can upgrade to the other lens later if I find the need.

Thanks once again for your time and assistance. You really helped and I am really glad I joined this forum!

Sincerely,

Nicole
    Nikon D80

Go for it

Quote Originally Posted by shulamith
    Thank you for your time and replies. I have made a purchase! I guess you could say I looked for the signs...

Was browsing the National Geographic magazine while riding shotgun on the way to Costco, and viola! a gorgeous ad for the D80. I think hmmmm, maybe it's a sign. Walk into Costco... look UP, and there it is... all bundled together in a bright yellow box:

D80 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Nikkor lens' plus a bag to hold it all and a 512mb SD card (will need to upgrade that, but I can snap a photo without waiting). All for a reasonable price $1299.00. No shipping to deal with, can have it RIGHT NOW, and no more searching the web for good deals from reputable dealers.

I could not deny myself any longer! I figure I can upgrade to the other lens later if I find the need.

Thanks once again for your time and assistance. You really helped and I am really glad I joined this forum!

Sincerely,

Nicole
    Nikon D80
    That sounds good. One thing I didn't mention about the 18-200 is that it just isn't available. I waited 5 months for mine and only found it by chance.

Charles

Thread Information