Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

DX lens on Film Camera?

This question may apply to other brands, but I'm thinking Nikon specifically. Has anyone ever put one of the digital "DX" lenses on a film camera? I'm mostly just curious what would happen, since they appear to be a cheap wide angle alternative.

Thanks,
    Paul

Re: DX lens on Film Camera?

You won't get an image circle big enough to cover the full frame of a 35mm camera. I read somewhere that someone tried the 12-24 on a 35mm body, and it is useable at around 18mm to 24mm. Below about 18mm, the image circle doesn't cover the frame so you have black in the corners (and edges, depending on the focal length).

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I thought I read somewhere that the EF-S lenses for Canon DSLR's, sit a little "deeper" inside the camera body, and that the mirror would hit it if used on a film SLR. Not sure if Nikon is like this or not, but it's worth checking out before you try it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I thought I read somewhere that the EF-S lenses for Canon DSLR's, sit a little "deeper" inside the camera body, and that the mirror would hit it if used on a film SLR. Not sure if Nikon is like this or not, but it's worth checking out before you try it.
    Not the case with Nikon - at least with the DX lenses. With some of the really esoteric (ok, wierd) lenses they've made over the years you do need a mirror lockup to use them, but this is for lenses like the 6mm fisheye, etc. They list this in the manual if it's a problem.

Give me coffee, or give me death!

I tried a friend's Canon EF-S lens on a film body (Elan 7E) and the lens would not attach at all. So much for that idea.
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even thank her.

-W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Lthlwpn1979
    I tried a friend's Canon EF-S lens on a film body (Elan 7E) and the lens would not attach at all. So much for that idea.
    Just a regular Canon EF lens will work on the Elan; I believe the EF-S are strictly digital.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yeah, they were released with the drebel, correct? thats what the little white dot on the canon mount is for. The red is for all other lenses.

Thread Information