Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

DBS - Dead battery syndrome

Yesterday I was at a football game. I used my D200 with my 18 - 200 VR lens to shoot the tailgaters and the pre-game activities and everything was fine. As soon as I switched to my 70 - 200 VR lens and I tried to view the menu, I started getting the dead battery flashing signal. I didn't think the battery was dead, but I went ahead and switched to a fully charged battery I keep as a back-up. The same thing happened. Then when I switched back to my 18 - 200, it went away. After photographing the start of the game with the 18 - 200, I switched back to the 70 - 200 and for the most part it worked fine. Every once in a while, I'd get the dead battery flashing signal which would go away after turning the camera off and then on again.

I have another game to shoot on Saturday. How can I prevent this from happening again?

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Re: DBS - Dead battery syndrome

More than likely battery issue... Have you tried charging the depleted battery{s} cold{ first put them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes}.Works on Li-poly RC stuff. I would call Nikon tech support...best in the industry.That was my experience,I'm no pro.

Rick

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The 18-200 worked but not the 70-200 then I'd think it was an issue with the lens.
    I've noticed in many help threads that cleaning the contacts seems to be the first thing to try.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Just yesterday I experienced the dead battery syndrome. Got on the computer, found this site and joined when I found numerous others having the same problem. However didn't see where anyone actually found a fix.
    I bought the D80, 18-200 Nikon lense and all nikon accessories, including a spare battery, from a reputable dealer on line.
    When the battery yesterday indicated it was low I put a freshly charged (the day before) battery in the camera. Shot a couple pics and suddenly it was out of umph. So I put the first battery back in and it indicated it was fully charged. After a couple more shots it wouldn't take a picture because it said the battery was out of juice. Suspecting something wrong, I turned the camera off and on again whereupon it showed it was fully charged and prodeeded to allow me to take a dozen or so pics before starting the same song and dance all over again. Something ain't right here. This scenario continued to duplicate the same sequence all afternoon.
    Anyone know what's going on? Is there a fix or do you think I need to contact Nikon and see about sending it back?

Here is a link to a thread on another photography forum that has more about DBS:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28589337

Apparently, even Nikon doesn't know what causes it or what to do about it.

For what it's worth, I cleaned the contacts on my batteries, on my lenses and the camera body lens contacts with Deoxit, and I took over 1,700 photos this weekend with no DBS.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorNikonMan
    For what it's worth, I cleaned the contacts on my batteries, on my lenses and the camera body lens contacts with Deoxit, and I took over 1,700 photos this weekend with no DBS.
    How did you do it - spray deoxit on a q-tip and brush it clean? I wouldn't imagine spraying right onto the battery would be good. I have a can of the stuff so I should probably do it. It can be hard to find but Guitar Center (national chain) carries it.

I sprayed it onto a paper towel and then wiped the contacts with it. You can buy Deoxit direct from the manufacturer by visiting their website, which I would've done, but I needed it quicker than how long it would've taken to get it that way so I bought mine at a local Radio Shack. The advantage to buying it directly is that they have many different versions of it including one that has a small brush for applying it.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's site:

http://www.deoxit.com/

hello there. the latest firmware update is now available on the nikon usa website for the d200 to fix this battery problem - firmware version 2.01 - best wishes.
    charlie..

Thread Information