Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Advice needed D3300 vs D5100

i am buying my first dslr and need help in deciding between the nikon d3300 and d5100

Re: Advice needed D3300 vs D5100

I moved your post to a new thread.

First question: what do you want to do with the camera?

Second question: You have chosen two very different devices. Why did you choose those two? What do YOU think are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

This might help you out.

Nikon D3300 vs D5100 - Our Analysis
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

To sum it up - would you be better off with the latest technology in a basic body (D3300) or with a four-year old body with some extra features whose price is gradually sinking (D5100).

I would go for the D3300. I'm a photo purist, I like to have the latest technology because it gives me the best possible image quality. I'm not interested in the extra features of the D5100:

- swivel screen - I always use the camera with my eye on the viewfinder for extra stability
    - 18-105mm lens rather than 18-55mm lens - this is useful but you can always add an extra lens later
    Charles

Re: Reason for these two cameras

Answer to ur frst ques: mainly for photography . i would be taking lots of landscapes and portraits

Answer to ur secnd ques: i chose these two because they're in my budget and reviews show that both of these are better than the nikon d3200 and canon 600D . but now which one would be a good option between these two . note: i wont be doing much of videography, i mainly need the camera for photography . so choose the one which takes better photos not videos! thanks in advance
    Last edited by zalan05; 08-30-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Re: This might help you out

#volks . have already seen this but personal experience says something else! thanks anyway

Re: Reason for these two cameras

Quote Originally Posted by zalan05 View Post
    Answer to ur frst ques: mainly for photography . i would be taking lots of landscapes and portraits

Answer to ur secnd ques: i chose these two because they're in my budget and reviews show that both of these are better than the nikon d3200 and canon 600D . but now which one would be a good option between these two . note: i wont be doing much of videography, i mainly need the camera for photography . so choose the one which takes better photos not videos! thanks in advance
    D3300 would take better pictures because the electronic components benefit from 4 more years development. But you might not notice the difference unless you do a billboard-size print.
    Charles

Re: This might help you out

Your lens selection will have a far bigger impact of your photo quality than the difference between these two cameras. I agree with Charles in that the d3300 is 4 years newer in technology. The only two points that you might want to consider are the difference in photo file size ( 16mp vs 24mp ) You will need more memory space for the d3300.
    The other is the weight factor. I suggest that you go to a camera store and put on a good quality lens that might for now just be on your wish list and see how it feels and balances with the two cameras.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

tell me about the main differences between both the cameras have and the final verdict.

Here are the reasons I would choose the d3300 over the d5100.

Newer technology. Slightly better image quality. Slightly better color depth.
    Larger viewfinder. Smaller and lighter. This is a plus as long as you don't plan on using a long heavy lens that could screw up the balance.
    Having said all this, I can't emphasize enough that you hold both cameras in your hands and see how they feel before buying.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Well lets look at the components list.

Both seem to be based on Nikon's low-end chassis which means a polycarbonate body with metal inside. They have the same pentamirror viewfinder (ugh), the same 11-point focussing system and the same 420 zone metering system. They don't have a focussing motor so they can't autofocus with older lenses. They are missing the knobs and buttons that allow you set more advanced functions with the camera up to your eye.

Note: So far this is not a very exciting specification. Either will do a good job for a consumer but Experts demand more professional features which they get in the D7100 for example

Advantage of the D3300 is the sensor + image processor which is the latest 24Mpix unit introduced with the D7100. It is probably the best APS-C sensor on the market. I have a D7100 and I'm very impressed with it. The D5100 has the 16Mpix unit first seen in the D7000 4-5 years ago. I've never tried it.

The advantage of the D5100 is the LCD screen that you can swivel out. This is of no interest to me. None of my cameras have this feature
    Charles

Smile Re: Advice needed D3300 vs D5100

Just keeping shooting

keeping shooting

There were time when i had my D5000, OK, maybe 2 times, when I actually shot using live view with the screen swiveled down so I could use it as a viewfinder way over my head.

I couldn't really afford it when I did it, but I sold the D5000 and bought a D7000, and could not have been happier.

Things I got in the higher-line camera:

Autofocus with non-motorized lenses. Those aren't as common as they once were, but they're out there.
    Faster frame rate in continuous shooting, up to 6 or 6.5 fps.
    Incredibly superior auto-focus performance. The 11-point focus was accurate, but not fast, and would not track moving subjects (but it was supposed to,) while the D7000 missed ZERO focuses in the first air show I took it to, with over 1100 frames, using the same lens I'd used previously with the D5000!
    Off-camera flash control: I can place my speedlight on a stand and use it without purchasing a separate dedicated on-camera controller.
    Metering and auto-exposure with older non-CPU lenses; the D5000 was manual-only with those. Furthermore, the D7000 has a menu list where you can describe non-CPU lenses to the camera (focal length and maximum aperture) which it uses for metering and for EXIF data.

I know I'm answering a question you didn't ask, but if there's ANY way to stretch your budget, up to and including used cameras (my own D7000 was used) then I urge you to consider moving up.

Between the two cameras you mentioned, the D3300 is higher resolution, but that's the only thing it has going for it. The D5100 has the swivel screen, but again, that's the only thing it has going for it. Whichever of those features you want will determine your choice between those two. But for just a bit more..........

Just keping shooting !
    Shoot Hunter

just keeping
    Last edited by bobo21; 09-12-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information