Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Portrait & Wildlife Lenses

Hello,

I'm looking to learn a bit more about DSLR cameras. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 with a 12x optical zoom. The following is just one of the pictures that I have captured with it. I scaled it down because of my slow dial-up internet upload speeds.

http://rednecksparadise.com/BlueJaySmall.jpg

I'd like to try my hand at a Nikon D90. I've never owned a DSLR camera and it seems to have some of the features I have come to wish were on my Lumix. I have a list of some lenses in my price range, but I don't know which 2 to get for my needs. I need one lens for wildlife, outdoors of course. And one for indoor/outdoor portraits. I don't know that much about lenses, being that my Lumix had a fixed lens, so I was hoping someone on here could help me narrow it down to the 2 i need. If there are other suggestions in the same price range, please post them, if they perform better than the ones I have listed. The D90 camera will be on a tripod when in use and the Lumix will be kept for travel and anything involving carrying.

Nikon 55-200mm Zoom f/4-5.6 ED IF AF-S DX VR
    Sigma 70-300mm Zoom f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Motorized-Telephoto
    Sigma 70-300mm Zoom f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro
    Sigma 18-200mm Zoom f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Optical-Stabilizer
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX
    Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks again,
    -Joe

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Portrait & Wildlife Lenses

For Portraits the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D is a great lens, I use one myself. Have you looked at the new AF-S Nikon 50mm f/1.4G?

The Sigma 70-300mm would be a good bet for wildlife, plus you can throw on a sigma teleconverter to give even more reach.

*Also: This is a perfect example of a post asking for help! You clearly laid out what you have, what you're looking for, and what you plan on doing with it! Bonus points to you sir!*
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Welcome and a very nice shot of the blue jay.

I'm not a Nikon guy so cannot get specific on the lens, but have a couple of comments on birding/wildlife.
    - Your best investment is learning how to get closer - stalking, blinds, habitat, habits, etc. You jay shot looks like you may already be up on this.
    - Go long and sharp. Primes are cheaper than zooms for the same length, light gathering and image quality. Zooms are, of course, way more convenient and flexible.
    - Think what kind of light and background you will have. For the extremes - those that shoot open air shots of shore birds (clear backgrounds with plenty of light) can get away with a lot slower lens than those shooting in a thick woods (low light with high contrast backgrounds).

I think you are going to love a DSLR. Be sure to post some more shots.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The older Nikkor 300mm f/4 non AF-S can be had from KEH for around $500, It's fast enough to handle a 1.4x TC taking you out to about 420mm. I have the newer AF-S version and it's very sharp.

You can't go wrong with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Fast and inexpensive.

Eric in Atlanta

n8

I'll say first off that the d90 will serve you well if that's what you're considering. I wouldn't plan on being tied to that tripod though, you can get some very good low light/high ISO performance out of it. I'm going to do my best to share my experience with these.

-Nikon 55-200mm Zoom f/4-5.6 ED IF AF-S DX VR: I had this briefly. Not a bad lens, but I hated switching between it and the kit 18-55 when I just got my d40. Sold it to fund the 18-200VR ( a great, versatile lens, but gets soft at the long end an may disappoint you for wildlife shots).
    -Sigma 70-300mm Zoom f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Motorized-Telephoto
    -Sigma 70-300mm Zoom f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro
    -Sigma 18-200mm Zoom f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Optical-Stabilizer: See concerns for the Nikon
    -Nikon 50mm f/1.8D: Wonderful cheap lens. Will do great for indoor/low lite shots or even close up wildlife where you want a lot of control of your DoF.
    -Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX: Same as for the 50mm, but with the added benefit of an internal, and QUIET AF motor. Also tack sharp, and effectively a more "true" 50mm when considering the crop factor.
    -Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR: I have the non VR version. Honestly, not a bad lens optically, but feels cheap, and lacks a good focus ring...assumes you're reliant on the AF. Comes stock with consumer level dslrs.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

JimB

Hi,
    If you shoot wildlife, the lens is what you have used the most and that you know it's capabilities and you work within those capabilities. For most of my wildlif images I use my Sigma 70-300 macro telephoto and I just got a Tamron 18-250 macro and with it I am having some real good luck. The Sigma I have had it for over 10 years and I use it the most and I have got some reall good images. Once you find or decide on a lens you are comfortable with and know its limitation you are there, but don't forget learn to walk quietly and carefully, and safely through the bush so you can find and get close to the subject of your imagine.
    1. Find the lens you want to use and learn to use it and it's capabilities.
    2. Learn good "Field Craft" so you can qet close
    3. Be alert not only with your eyes but use your ears as well.
    4. Don't give up keep shooting and keep trying and keep shooting. And be patient

That is how I did it. Check out my user gallery for my results over the last 10 months.

JimB
    Last edited by JimB; 09-07-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Thread Information