Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

35 lens zoom compared to digital zoom

I am taking a photography class at college and the teacher gave us some B&W film to shoot. It has been awhile since I had my Nikon F's out with the 80 to 230 zoom on it taking pictures. I have tried to hold that heavy lens steady and it was going everywhere. When I tried the Nikon D80 with the 18 to 200 zoom at the store I could hardly tell it was on the camera. WOW what a big difference. I am just waiting untill the day after Thanksgiving to see if the D80 and lens go on sale, either way I plan on ordering on the 23rd. I hope they have a sale on this setup. Wish me luck, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: 35 lens zoom compared to digital zoom

How heavy is that 80-230?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    How heavy is that 80-230?
    It is actually a 90 to230 zoom. It is at least twice as long as the 18 to 200 Nikon VR lens that I will be getting and several times heavier. By the time I could get it focused and zoomed in on what I wanted to take a picture of it had moved. For me this lens is a tripod lens only. I have a 43mm to 86 that is short and is light for my Nikon F that is not bad at all.

I am looking forward to getting the D80 and vr zoom, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heavy, long lenses are tough to hand hold - especially for us coffee drinkers.

It's pretty amazing how such small and lightweight lenses can be so good (compared to what was available years ago). And with high ISO's, fast apertures aren't quite as important in a lot of situations as they used to be.

I actually find a lens with a little more heft to be easier to control than some of these feather weight lenses. Maybe it's just that I'm a dinosaur and I grew up with heavy glass.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I have the 80-200 f2.8 AFS which is huge and heavy. I use it with the battery pack on the D200 because I find I need something to hold on to. The whole thing is pretty stable because it's so heavy. But the 18-200 has VR so it is probably even more stable (never done a comparison).

The 80-200 focusses better, however. Occasionally the 18-200 hesitates at the tele end.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks for every ones responses. I would like to add that I am a little unique in that the pinkie finger and the finger next to it on my right hand were shortened several years ago by my table saw. Also last year I had a pinched nerve in my right elbow and had to have a operation on it to move the nerve. The result is that half of my right hand is numb and has lost a lot of its strength.

I just thought I would throw this little bit of information out there so you won't think I'm a big weeny not being able to hold the lens up. It is just a little bit of a challenge that the average guy doesn't have. Using that Nikon F with an FTN meter on it and add a long heavy lens and it is a lot of weight for basically two good fingers and a thumb to hold up and be steady.

Nothing I can't live with but sometimes I have to adjust to make things work better for me. I am really liking the lighter equipment that digital has to offer, Jeff

Jeff, the 18-200 mm is a very good lens -- you should enjoy it. As a petite person, I have a hard time dealing with big, heavy equipment (like the 80-400, which is heavier and slower lens). Also, I don't like dealing with a tripod -- I'd rather wander around grabbing shots as I find them. switching quickly between flower macros, moving wildlife and landscapes. The 18-200 lets me to do all that for hours at a time, plus I can holdhold and get clear shots at sunrise/set. Just watch out for some distortion of buildings and tall trees in the 18-20+ range.
    -Pam :idea:
    "There is more to life than increasing its speed. -- Mahatma Gandhi"

Quote Originally Posted by pweb
    Jeff, the 18-200 mm is a very good lens -- you should enjoy it. As a petite person, I have a hard time dealing with big, heavy equipment (like the 80-400, which is heavier and slower lens). Also, I don't like dealing with a tripod -- I'd rather wander around grabbing shots as I find them. switching quickly between flower macros, moving wildlife and landscapes. The 18-200 lets me to do all that for hours at a time, plus I can holdhold and get clear shots at sunrise/set. Just watch out for some distortion of buildings and tall trees in the 18-20+ range.
    I have read many good things about this lens and I am very anxious to own one. I am waiting untill the day after Thanksgiving to order my equipment with hopes that it might be on sale. Whether it is or not it will get ordered then, Jeff

Thread Information