Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Young Bald Eagle Portrait

Using the burst mode to get a sharp image saved the day on this shot. This is a crop of an image shot at 500mm from my kayak, using a monopod with a shutter speed of 1/20 (no IS)! I believe this eagle hatched this year. I'm not a huge fan of the background, but wanted to post this to show what can be done using the burst mode to help get a sharp image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Young Bald Eagle Portrait-_mg_7438.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Young Bald Eagle Portrait

Nice portrait of an awesome Raptor!
    Nice eye contact but photo seems a bit on the blue side on my screen (little color cast ) especially the beak.

tight shot!

Thanks for the feedback Eric. You are correct, it does have a blue cast to it. It was shot in the shade with the WB set to daylight. That's what I get for trying to process images when I should have gone to bed. Here is a version with it switched to shade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Young Bald Eagle Portrait-_mg_7438.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks for the feedback Eric. You are correct, it does have a blue cast to it. It was shot in the shade with the WB set to daylight. That's what I get for trying to process images when I should have gone to bed. Here is a version with it switched to shade.

I know the feeling about that late night processing!
    Thats looks great!!

Hi Mike Great Picture.
    I am not familiar with burst mode. Is that a Canon only feature?
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Quote Originally Posted by Singletracklovr
    Hi Mike Great Picture.
    I am not familiar with burst mode. Is that a Canon only feature?
    No, the burst mode is your cameras ability to take a series of images by holding down the shutter button. With film cameras is was often called the motor drive. It's you're cameras ability to shoot multiple frames per second. The faster your burst mode, the better it is for getting sharp images at slower shutter speeds when camera shake is a problem.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information