Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Orange you glad you looked?

Played with some macro stuff this morning. Here are a couple shots of my orange.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orange you glad you looked?-img_1950.jpg   Orange you glad you looked?-img_1977.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Orange you glad you looked?

Thanks for sharing, Mike You've certainly shed some new light on oranges I especially like the first one but I really can't figure out which bit of the orange it is - and I eat oranges nearly every day!

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Thanks for sharing!

Interesting captures, as Mette mentioned – it is quite hard to determine exactly what the subjects are. In other words, if you hadn't said oranges, I probably would have had no clue. A seed or another classic characteristic would have certainly helped with this.

Great pattern in #1. #2 has eye-catching shapes and texture, but the lighting appears harsher (see the blown-out areas near the bottom), and with both I can't get a grip on what part of an orange it is. Maybe a 3-week old covered in strange fungus...?

#2 is probably my favorite though – better colors, crispness, texture... pretty good macro work. :thumbsup:

I honestly never looked at an orange that way. Good thing you shared it to us.

Keep on clicking, and I might want to suggest trying grapes the next time. It would be cool.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

To get the first image, I peeled the orange, then separated all of the sections of the orange. Then I ate all but one of those sections. The last one, I took the "skin" off of the section of orange, and then put a light behind it. That was shot with 100mm macro lens with 3 extension tubes attached.

The 2nd image is the where the stem of the orange goes. This was shot with the 100mm macro lens w/ 3 extension tubes, and a 50mm lens reversed on the 100mm.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973

To get the first image, I peeled the orange, then separated all of the sections of the orange. Then I ate all but one of those sections. The last one, I took the "skin" off of the section of orange, and then put a light behind it. That was shot with 100mm macro lens with 3 extension tubes attached.

The 2nd image is the where the stem of the orange goes. This was shot with the 100mm macro lens w/ 3 extension tubes, and a 50mm lens reversed on the 100mm.
    Thanks for the explanation – very nice end results, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973

Do you know what the overall magnification is with the two configurations? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I would guess the first is around 3X maybe and the second is atleast 6X with "sensor crop" and the gear used.

Awesome images !
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Do you know what the overall magnification is with the two configurations? - TF
    That's a good question. I think there is a formula to figure out the magnification, but I'm not sure what it is. Something like the length of extension / focal length. I'm not sure how you would figure in the reversed 50mm though.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I did a search on google and found a thread that states "40D/ 100macro/ 68mm of extension..... 2.14x mag . A 100 macro with a reversed 50mm gives you 2X , a 150mm with a 50mm reversed gives you 3x. So it seems you were right around 4.5x(4.28 actually) on the peeled orange.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information