Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Lek trafived!

Buglin Billy

Lek trafived!

I got up at 3:30 this morning and walked my dogs and then jumped in my truck about 5:00 and headed up to a Sage Grouse Lek.

For those of you who don't know what a Lek is, its a place the Sage Grouse go to each year to strut and do their mating ritual.

I was really a little late in the year to get the best photos, but I still got a pretty good ones.

I used my new Lens (Zukio 50-200) for the first time. I also took most of the photos with my E-5, but a few were taken with my E-3.

The grouse are there as it lightens and stay until about 8:00 AM and then all of a sudden they fly away. So most of the time the light is poor, but the show they put on is great.

Here's a few of the photos I took this morning and a few of their many poses.

I started out with a flash and soon shut it off.

It's been a couple years since I have been up there, and it sure was fun.

Have a good one. BB

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Lek trafived!

Very nice! I would suggest getting prone with the camera at thier eye level for the WOW factor.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Very nice! I just got back from a trip with another photographer from this forum to try to photograph sharptailed grouse. The light/weather wasn't very good for us. Looks like you had much better luck than we did. A few of those first images look like flash was used. If so, did the flash seem to bother the birds at all?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Buglin Billy

Yes, I used a flash early in the morning before it lightened enough to just shoot without it.

And no flash seems to affect very few animals or birds. The one big exception I have found is that of the pronghorn antelope. They seem to spook at anything they see, as their main source of protection is their eyes and their speed.

I was pretty lucky to have the birds come as close to me as I did. They accept the flash and shutter noise without an alarm, but if you start moving around they will fly when they are that close to you.

I was born and raised in Wyoming and when I was a young kid there were tons of sage grouse around, but their numbers have really fallen off through the years. I knew of many Leks when I was young, but most are now history nowadays.

I have bowhunted for over 50 years and I have come to learn that photographing wildlife is much like bowhunting----------most days you go home skunked!

Here are a few more of the images I took with a flash.

Have a good one. BB

very productive sessions ! nice images

they certainly look impressive with their chests inflated like that

bowhunting ... hmm.. yes I always thought I was hunting when trying to photograph creatures in the wild

Thread Information