Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Spider web construction

A spider web caught my eye yesterday afternoon as it flashed in the light from the low sun behind it. I grabbed a shot, and as I watched through the viewfinder I realized it was under construction, so I stayed with it for a few minutes.

The first shot has the basic frame and the outer web already in place. The basic frame was the surrounding suspension lines, the radials to the center, and a spiral that she used to walk around the web while spinning the rest. Time stamp on this frame is 4:34:51.

Here she's carrying a new line down a radial, across the spiral, and about to move up the next radial to fasten it. Time 4:35:18.

Seven seconds later, working the next segment.

Just under 30 seconds later, and she's more than halfway around the web. Time here is 4:35:53.

Three more seconds, 4:35:56.

4:36:51, almost a minute, and she's been around 1-1/2 times.

4:38:12, about a minute-twenty

At that point I tried to switch to video, which turned out to be hopeless without the tripod. I was looking toward the sun and could not see the Live View on the LCD. By the time I gave up she'd finished the web and was sitting in the center waiting. Time here is 4:44:54, less than ten minutes after the first frame I shot.

When we draw webs, we draw them as rings of web strands, but in fact the web is a spiral. That makes sense, but I'd never noticed it before.

Re: Spider web construction

very nice ! thanks for sharing it !

Super cool, wfooshee! That would make a really good timelapse subject. But yes - a tripod would be necessary. Something to file away in my mind in case I catch a web build in progress. Thanks for the inspiration
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Member Intrepid Berkeley Explorer's Avatar

The sequence leads to a most attractive, colorful web. Great work by you as photographer and by that tiny white spider as construction engineer.

Video might produce something like a time lapse by having one still shot transition into the next. I know how hard it is to hold a camcorder still enough for super close-ups. But I've done OK with video of larger spiders/webs. Background music has been "Boris the Spider" by the Who.

very cool!

Thread Information