Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Woodpecker question

This isn't a photo question, but I'm assuming I can get something of an answer on this one!
    For the past week or so, we have had woodpeckers pecking at our house...near the roof. Why are they doing this?? Should we be worried about bugs? That seems like the logical explanation...but I just read that they drum a lot to determine territory, etc. I've seen two different types...red-bellied and downy.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Woodpecker question

You might have carpenter ants under your wood trim. Also, certain beetle species and wasps will bore a small hole and make a nest along the flat backside of the planks.

I'd watch the woodpeckers to see if they are eating something. Nice guys - they're watching out for you!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks Loupey!

And while I appreciate that they're looking out for us...I'd love it even more if they'd wait until after 6 am to start hunting...lol!

You have my sincere sympathy. I was camping once and in the bush behind me was an old tin shack which a large woodpecker found irresistable, especially at dawn it seemed. Needless to say, after two mornings of that racket my status as a bird lover was severely tested.....

I still wonder why a woodpecker would drum on tin...

Quote Originally Posted by scott-devon
    You have my sincere sympathy. I was camping once and in the bush behind me was an old tin shack which a large woodpecker found irresistable, especially at dawn it seemed. Needless to say, after two mornings of that racket my status as a bird lover was severely tested.....

I still wonder why a woodpecker would drum on tin...
    Lol...yes, I know what you mean. I had a bit of loss of love for them on the first morning...hehe.

I'm not very tolerant in the mornings at all...when I was preggo with my 2nd baby, there was a little sparrow that INSISTED on singing outside our window...again, around 6ish. I really disliked that bird...lol.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

woodpeckers DRUM on homes to attract mates or for the fun of it. Usually they aren't looking for food, but are using the home as an amplifier to get the "music" louder

SPRAY THEM WITH A HOSE The plasic owls are a joke and no other deterrant seems to work that I know of.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Ooooh...I will try the hose! All I've been doing has been banging on the walls where the noise is...lol.

Thread Information