Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Anhinga

Anhinga

Didn't know what it was at first. It had its wings stretch out drying, like a cormorant does, but it was too big to be a cormorant, beak was wrong, and tail feathers way too long. I hadn't seen one before, so I didn't know what it was until I got home to look it up. Of course, also known as water turkey or snakebird.

Re: Anhinga

Good shots. I haven't been able to get that close to the few I have seen.

Phil

Re: Anhinga

Wasn't that close, actually. These are 1-to-1 crops of the frame centers. Second one say 17.8 meters in the EXIF data, and that was clambering through some woods to try to approach. That's also a number I see in an awful lot of my pictures, so I'm inclined to think it's more of a distance threshold than an actual measurement. The first one was farther, but I don't know how much farther. EXIF says infinity.

Next day I saw three of them high, circling the marsh, but they never approached close enough to shoot. They are ungainly-looking in flight, though!

Thread Information