Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Gator farm....

Gator farm....

I'm heading to the gator farm in Florida next month. The park has a photographers pass that allows people in early and to stay late. The main purpose of the trip is to photograph large wading/coastal birds. The birds are wild, but a large population show up every year to roost near the gator nests for protection. They have gotten comfortable enough over time to allow people within feet of them. Arthur Morris frequents here for the excellent opportunities.

Other than the obvious (bracket, shoot raw, expose for highlights) anyone have any advice? I will be taking a full bag of gadgets, 2 bodies, and lenses from 17mm - 400mm, and about 8 gigs of memory.

If there's anything else I haven't thought of or don't have, I would like to get it before going. Well, anything except a 600 f/4. Unless someone has one to donate

Btw - Yes, I have been studying Morris, Wolfe, and any photos I can find from the location (although I'll be far from them... at least this time).
    Last edited by payn817; 02-11-2007 at 06:52 PM.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Gator farm....

Are you speaking of the St. Augustine alligator farm

STUDY...
    http://www.ejphoto.com/
    http://www.gdphotography.com/
    http://www.shootthelight.com/
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Assuming you mean St. Augustine, there is nothing else like it. It is relatively small, but the gators in the water provide some predator protection that has created a wild rookery that will let you get closer than anything else I've seen in the wild. I've seen the following there: Black Crowned Night Herons, Blue Herons, Downy Woodpeckers, Grackles, Great Egrets, Green Herons, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Red Herons, Roseate Spoonbills, Snowy Egrets, Tri-Colored Herons, Yellow Crowned Night Herons, White Ibises & Wood Storks. You'll likely see a number of nests and fledglings. That 400mm should get you some great shots. As I recall, they have some Wood Ducks and White Swans on display, too. There is an alligator feeding show you'll want to see, and a snake/reptile one.

If you want to see lots of Wood Storks and White Ibises, plus Moorhens, Coots and several duck species, and eagles from 12 feet away, stop in the Jacksonville Zoo on your way back home. It's off I-95. Silver Springs in Ocala will offer you Anhingas and Commorants in abundance, plus unique glas-bottom boats, but is hard to get to from St. Augustine. Should you go, The Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville has a great butterfly pavillion, and is on your way.

Also, I recommend Harry's (cajun/seafood), Columbia (Spanish), or Raintree (higher-end ecclectic) for lunch or dinner. The Castillo San Marco is a must see.

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

I would suggest a bodyguard to bop the alligators on the head while you are concentrating on getting that great shot of the birds (just to make him back off, mind you)

j/k Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to see the results!
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

They have birds there? who knew!!

The do have the most complete assemblage of crocodilians in the world, or at least they did about three years ago, it is possible that other zoos have caught up. John Brueggen is the director, I've had the pleasure of having dinner with him a handful of times at herpetological conferences and the Chicago Herp Society hosted him not too long ago. He has some really interesting video footage of crocs behaving strangely in his park - aren't crocodilians supposed to be obligate carnivores? I'm sure he'll take great pleasure in showing you the tape, if you don't actually witness it first hand. cool stuff. He was also kind enough to take about 80 city-confiscated alligators that were released to us and give them homes in his park, which is unbelievably generous.

As for the park, don't miss the super-rare crocs - the chinese alligators, orinoco crocs, and the ghariel would all be a shame to miss...not to mention to other ones he has that are a bit less rare!! Remember to take a sample shot, check the histogram, THEN take a shot that matters...nothing worse than a surprise after you take a shot that should have been great!!
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Sounds like your going to have a wonderful time, no tips on anything else you should take though,, sounds like you have that all sewn up,although a 600mm is anybodies dream toy! hope you get to photograph all those beautiful birds mentioned by Lava lamp and look forward to seeing some posted.
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Thanks for all the well-wishing and the advice.

I didn't even consider the zoo, but it's a good idea. Haven't been there in about 20 yrs. I've spent many days in St. Augustine and Jacksonville, but I was far younger, and didn't know what a camera was then. Since I started shooting, that place has been on my list for the wonderful architecture, wildlife, and other opportunities. Hopefully I'll bring something worth seeing back

IF I can't. I'll just knock someone else over the head and steal their memory cards...lol

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    Thanks for all the well-wishing and the advice.

I didn't even consider the zoo, but it's a good idea. Haven't been there in about 20 yrs. I've spent many days in St. Augustine and Jacksonville, but I was far younger, and didn't know what a camera was then. Since I started shooting, that place has been on my list for the wonderful architecture, wildlife, and other opportunities. Hopefully I'll bring something worth seeing back

IF I can't. I'll just knock someone else over the head and steal their memory cards...lol
    They've been improving the Jacksonville Zoo and have brought it up (almost) to the level of some of the better zoos in the country. I say that having to been to the zoos in San Diego, Detroit, Philadelphia and maybe eight or ten others.

The state of Florida publishes a guide to the East Florida Section of the Great Florida Birding Trail that you might find interesting . You can find it online here: http://floridabirdingtrail.com/sites_east.htm

Thread Information