Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Cold Weather Care

I spend a few weeks a year climbing mountains and would like to take my XTi with me. But I read that it's "operating range" is only 32 degrees....what would happen if its say....20? or even 0 degree's out (God forbid its in the negatives)? Steps to take to protect it? Am I worrying over nothing?

I figured you guys might be the best to ask since your camera's are exposed to the elements more than others. Thanks!

Re: Cold Weather Care

I own an XTi (as well as the 1DsMII). They are probably not the best choice for a rigorous environment. For certain, the battery time will be significantly diminished. They are also not weather tight, so any moisture could damage the camera. You'd be far better off with a 40D or something like that. If that's not an option, then I'd be sure to get a good waterproof pack to carry it in.

Unfortunately a 40D isnt an option at this time, but I heard to carry a two batteries (one in warm pocket) and swap them as needed. Also, a waterproof case doesnt sound to bad but hopefully it wont be that cold (and rarely in snow) unless I hit up some high peaks but it's certainly something to look into when the time comes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

My longest marathon was standing in one spot for 2 3/4 hours in 14 degree, cloudless day with a slight breeze. My 30D did fine on one battery even with the internal stabilization servos running in my lens on and off. It outlasted me since I wasn't expecting to be out there that long and wore sneakers instead of boots.

As for moisture, you can go cheap and stuff your camera/lens (if it will fit) inside a freezer zip lock bag before sticking it inside your camera bag or backpack.

Like deep sea diving, coming back is risker than going down. Make sure you warm up your gear VERY slowly. Leave it in the trunk of your car outside for a day, then bring your bag (unopened) into the garage for a day, then leave it in your house (unopened) for another day.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Good to know the gear can withstand the cold. Also, most of the time I will probably keep it outside in the trunk till the trip is over but you did get my mind thinking about another aspect with your scuba analogy. What about pressure? Bringing gear from lets say 7500ft. to 14,000ft+ then back...should I take any precautions or due to it being an ascent/descent on foot I shouldn't have to worry about any pressure build up.

Most time's we hike on clear to party cloudy days (storms on exposed ridges at 12,800ft are NOT fun!) so I dont think moisture will play a large role since relative humidity in CO is much less than on the east coast where I live. Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Well if you're ascending to 14,000'+ by foot, let me say that you're a better person than me

In terms of pressure, your gear is going to leak like a sieve - which is a good thing. And the rate of pressure change is going to be so slow that you have no need to worry.

We drove as high as the road goes on Pike's Peak. Then my son and I walked (not climbed) the last several hundred yards to get to the very top. While trying not to vomit from the altitude sickness and headaches up there, we were suddenly surprised when a few climbers pop up from the "edge". Crazy, athletic types.

Then we drove down and all was well with the world.

See my website HERE.

Glad I saw this. Will factor into the camera decision since Ill be out in the snow and higher elevations. Didnt event think about warming it up slowly. Does anyone make covers or something for long days in the rain/snow? I saw the rain pant rig which would work if you were staying still but could be a hassle with going in and out of the pack.

when im out on day trips with my camera, which i usually just carry w/out a case in my backpack, if its raining or chance of rain i keep it in a dry bag. i think its 2L but you can get them bigger. if used propperly it is competely waterproof, ( i had my old canon 1s is swim a class 3 rapid carabeened to a rubber ducky which was upside down in one and it was fine). So i pull the whole bag out of my backpack and then use my body to block rain while i set up which you could then use a make shift rain cover or what ever.... if its not pouring i usually just let mine get alittle wet.

it is another set to get ready to shoot, but keeping my camera in my backpack anyways i usually can't get quick shots anyhows, and would rather be safe... since i have been caught out in absolute down pours for hours.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

I hope that I didn't mislead anyone into thinking that one must always warm up gear over a three day period for just stepping out casually with a camera. Just depends on how deep of a freeze you subject your gear. The longer and deeper the freeze, the longer the warm up period should be.

For most of my 2~3 hour shoots in average midwestern winter days, I just leave the camera gear completely sealed in the corner of the house (away from heat vents) for several hours.

While we're on the subject, a reminder for anyone shooting from a car - leave your heat off! While being warm is nice, as soon as you open a window to shoot something, all that warm air makes for awful air convection distortion which distroys all images. Dress warmly as you would if out in the open, and drive with the windows open.

See my website HERE.

Thread Information