Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

macro photo of a cross orbweaver spider

Hi all,

Here is a macro photo of a cross orbweaver spider (Araneus diadematus) that I put up on my blog yesterday. I was using this picture as one example of how to crop an image.

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters

P8177473 orb spider closer rotated copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Re: macro photo of a cross orbweaver spider

Nice shot. You nailed the DOF. I was actually trying to get a similar shot of a cat faced spider (also an orb weaver) the other day and couldn't get the DOF deep enough when I was as close as I wanted to be so I didn't have to crop. I probably should have just backed off a little and cropped it.

Liz

Beautiful shot! Not one of my favorite subjects, though!

However, I'm always amazed at how these creatures are so beautiful up close.

If it weren't for photographers - like yourself - with "courage" I would never know what a spider looks like up close. The spiders I see don't live long enough for me to get a closer look, yet alone snap a picture.....if you get what I mean.

I do enjoy viewing well done photographic images.

Thanks for sharing....

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Nice shot. You nailed the DOF. I was actually trying to get a similar shot of a cat faced spider (also an orb weaver) the other day and couldn't get the DOF deep enough when I was as close as I wanted to be so I didn't have to crop. I probably should have just backed off a little and cropped it.
    Thanks! It's really challenging to get the DOF right with spiders like these because their abdomens are so fat: most of the time I get the head in focus but not the back of the abdomen. It’s very frustrating. I'd prefer to shoot at F8 or F11 to ensure the sharpest image, but there just isn't enough DOF at those apertures for these critters.

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Beautiful shot! Not one of my favorite subjects, though!

However, I'm always amazed at how these creatures are so beautiful up close.

If it weren't for photographers - like yourself - with "courage" I would never know what a spider looks like up close. The spiders I see don't live long enough for me to get a closer look, yet alone snap a picture.....if you get what I mean.

I do enjoy viewing well done photographic images.

Thanks for sharing....

Liz
    Thanks! In my youth I had a problem with spiders...then I got a bunch of tarantulas for pets. A few nights laying in bed, in the dark, listening to them tap tap tap as they tried to escape their tanks...and I was cured! : )

EC
    macrocritters

Thread Information