Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Hummingbird at slower shutter speed

f6.3, 1/250 sec. ISO 250. Cropped and enhanced with Photoshop.

MF of course

Some don't think this shot works.

Hummingbird at slower shutter speed-hummer-flapping.jpg

Sorry about the camera shake :blush2:

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Hummingbird at slower shutter speed

It has a fluidity quality about it that would work had the head not been obscured.

You obviously have watched them enough to know that they keep their heads still when they "wag their tail" while hovering. So 1/250s and 1/350s are still fast enough to freeze their heads while really giving their wings/body a good motion blur.

Personally, I like to shoot h-birds between 1/250s and 1/1000s.

Thanks for sharing.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Personally I like the other (fast shutter) one better. I like to see the wings sometimes.

Maybe it's because with your own eye, you normally just see a blur, seeing the wings is a nice change of pace. Or maybe it's because I have been unsuccessful with faster shutter speed humming bird shots. I always seem to get wing blur.:mad2:

Either way, both shots work in their own way. I just prefer the one from the other thread.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Myself I would like it in between the two shots but leaning toward the first one. For regular bird shots I like them still and sharp but with humming birds I think it adds a nice touch to show a little wing motion, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For hummingbird shots, blur could still be there even if you use a multi-flash system. At least from photos I've seen. One thing I haven't been able to do is to get the whole bird in the DOF.

I think shooting hummingbirds is not that difficult if you know where they hover. I have a series of three shots with the hummingbird hovering, first facing me, then turned to its left and then right and I got all of them even with MF. It seems to me most hummingbird shots are made when the bird is hovering or busy feeding themselves...at least I haven't seen a hummingbird in flight shot like those of swallows or bald eagles.

Here's a unique set of hummingbird photos from somebody else:

http://www.birding.bc.ca/community/viewtopic.php?t=2151

It doesn't work that well for me, due to the wing covering the eye. To me, the eye is generally the most important piece of the bird or mammal.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Climbing is an overly normal game as it is done in normally laid pinnacles. Around evening time, it must continue expanding the delight and beguilement all around and students can do custom research paper in order to manage the task. Ideally a superior plan to go through end of the week.

Sadan Ali

Great advice is given by so many experts. Really grateful for it.

Thread Information