Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls

I am heading out to niagara falls tomorrow morning, any tips on shooting the falls ?

Re: Niagara Falls

Quote Originally Posted by Mahopac
    I am heading out to niagara falls tomorrow morning, any tips on shooting the falls ?
    Wide angle lens and I would shot many shots at different Shutter speeds to freeze water motion and some lower shutter to show water motion. You are going to have fun with this adventure!!..Good luck!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info

It's been a long time since I've been but from what I remember Canada had a much better view then the USA!

My sister was there a couple of weeks ago and she said it took her 3 hours to get past the border, I probably won't go to canada

Yuck. I went before they changed the rules at the border.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

The US side does allow a bit more "natural" views of the above-falls area, but the spectacular views are from the Canadian side. I suggest walking across the border if you don't want to wait in the car line. But getting to the Canadian side is a "must" for seeing the full power of the falls.

Even though the falls are only operating at around 50% capacity due to diversion by the hydroelectrical power company for electric production and to reduce erosion. I heard years ago that there were plans to set aside one day each year that the falls operate at 100% capacity to show everyone how powerful the falls actually are supposed to be.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

P9076054

Not to good

P9076126

Wasn't sure if I should bump this older thread or start a new one. I chose the former.

I'm heading to Niagara Falls over Labor Day weekend and was also looking for tips on how to photograph the falls. I'm looking for tips on technique as well as vantage points if anyone is familiar with the area.

I have an Olympus E-520 and plan to use the 9-18mm lens. Any other tips besides shoot at various angles and use multiple shutter speeds?

What about shooting the falls at night?

I wasn't happy to read about 3 hour border crossings. Oh well.

If you've not been there before, you may want to take a small lightweight tripod with you because you will probably want to shoot the falls at various shutter speeds. If you want to show "milky water" of the American Falls from the Canadian side, it takes a really slow shutter speed because of the distance. So a polarizer/ND filter might be necessary when shooting in the day.

I like shooting the Horseshoe Falls right were the falls comes to the bank on the Canadian side. But so does everyone else. Lots of visitors from around the world so be prepared to shoot couples every ten feet or so (you know, they hand you their cameras). A good pair of walking shoes is a must although I have done it in wingtips after business meetings in the area

Several high-rises will give you more unique perspectives of the falls. Just go to where you want to shoot, look backwards at the buildings and go try to find the restaurant there. There is a wonderful hotel upriver of the Horseshoe Falls that has a great view from their lobby and restaurant looking slightly down river. Just find a parking space in between all the hotels and shops, take everything you can carry that you will need for the entire day, and start walking. Shoot, eat, and have fun!

I suggest taking the Maid-of-the-Mist tour to get shots up close and personal. Just keep the lens covered until the moment you want to shoot. You'll be wiping the lens constantly with the mist anyway - I just use my shirt (any dry spot I can find). Take the journey behind the falls tour for a different upclose and personal.

Don't forget the nearby attractions. I suggest the white water walk, the butterfly conservatory, and the whirlpool aero car (my son hated that one - he is afraid of heights). For more information go to:

http://www.infoniagara.com/attractions/

Hope to see a bunch of shots when you get back :thumbsup:

See my website HERE.

Thanks for all the advice Loupey. I was able to get to a lot of the destinations you mentioned although I had a wife and two young children in tow so most of the time was not dedicated to photography. They tolerated me most of the time but there was rarely any time to dedicate solely to photography. I had to divide my time between being tour guide, baby sitter and photographer.

I think I'll start another thread to post some of my shots. I did take a lot of images but sorting through them and processing will take some time.

Great - I'm glad it worked out for you.

I know about the juggling act between the kids and camera. I think the last time I was there to do any "serious" photography was 5 years ago when I just bought my first dSLR and the kids were pretty small.

Hope you and your family had a memorable time.

See my website HERE.

asad azeem

Explore Playa del Carmen’s culinary landscape with our guide to the best Playa Del Carmen restaurants. best restaurants in Playa del carmen

Thread Information