Great Egret BIF

Printable View

  • 12-11-2013, 05:48 AM
    Grandpaw
    1 Attachment(s)
    Great Egret BIF
    Great Egret

    Attachment 92497
  • 12-11-2013, 08:47 AM
    wfooshee
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    It's really a shame that you're not getting any good use from that D600!!!! :)

    Birds in flight are such fun. You get some misses, some good hits. This one is definitely a hit. Nice shot!
  • 12-11-2013, 09:21 AM
    ksbryan0
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Nice one, Jeff!
  • 12-11-2013, 12:03 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Excellent, Jeff! What lens were you using? I assume you were using continuous auto focus? How about cropping? Did you crop much to get this or were you able to shoot it pretty tight?
  • 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Excellent, Jeff! What lens were you using? I assume you were using continuous auto focus? How about cropping? Did you crop much to get this or were you able to shoot it pretty tight?

    Thanks everyone for your comments. John I was shooting my D600 with the Nikon 70-300VR on it. I did crop about 2/3 of the picture off and as far as the focus I do not use continuous focus for anything. I use single point focus 100% of the time whether it is a still or action shot. I have tried the other options and only shoot with the single focus point and have had great success in doing so. I might add that I shoot single shots and almost never shoot in burst mode. I have had people tell me I'm nuts but it works the best for me this way.
  • 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Wow! So you just follow the bird and press the shutter release with the auto focus in single shot mode? What's your success rate with that technique? I think you should try to get comfortable with continuous auto focus. It works really well now. That said, I haven't tried it with the D600. But it works well with the D7000 and the D7100.
  • 12-11-2013, 06:04 PM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Wow! So you just follow the bird and press the shutter release with the auto focus in single shot mode? What's your success rate with that technique? I think you should try to get comfortable with continuous auto focus. It works really well now. That said, I haven't tried it with the D600. But it works well with the D7000 and the D7100.

    I can't give you a percentage of good shots but I would say it is reasonably high. I have tried continuous mode before and I am sure it works well but my keeper rate is higher on single mode. Some techniques work better for some people than they do for others. I'm not recommending that everyone use the single focus point, I was just answering the question that you ask me. This is how I shot for years and it works well for me. Two things that I have is fast reaction time and exceptionally steady hands. I have hand held shots at 1 full second handheld also and shot my 70-200VR with 2x extender hand held at 1/8 second and had sharp pictures but do not recommend this to others either. As all of us have done over the years, we have all developed different techniques that just work for the way we shoot. I am a firm believer in the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
  • 12-12-2013, 07:56 AM
    wfooshee
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    My own experience with continuous focus with birds in flight on my D7000 is that success depends on the background. Against the sky it works well. Most of these birds fly fairly low most of the time, though, so you get a mixture of trees, sky, more trees, even buildings in the background, and the bird doesn't stand out well enough for the focus system to follow. It keeps grabbing other features in the viewfinder.

    Like Jeff, I shoot birds in single-focus, but when I shot the Blue Angels air show last year (unfortunately the last air show I've been able to attend since the budget crap shut everybody down) I shot in continuous-focus, and out of over 1,000 frames in two days, I had maybe two that weren't quite right, and those two I'm not sure weren't motion blur rather than OOF.
  • 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM
    OldClicker
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    My own experience with continuous focus with birds in flight on my D7000 is that success depends on the background. Against the sky it works well. Most of these birds fly fairly low most of the time, though, so you get a mixture of trees, sky, more trees, even buildings in the background, and the bird doesn't stand out well enough for the focus system to follow. It keeps grabbing other features in the viewfinder.

    Like Jeff, I shoot birds in single-focus, but when I shot the Blue Angels air show last year (unfortunately the last air show I've been able to attend since the budget crap shut everybody down) I shot in continuous-focus, and out of over 1,000 frames in two days, I had maybe two that weren't quite right, and those two I'm not sure weren't motion blur rather than OOF.

    Why would single focus pull the subject out of the background better than continuous?
  • 12-12-2013, 10:02 PM
    armando_m
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Nice Shot !

    I on the other hand use continuous AF most of the time, single spot, no 3d or auto AF spot selection
  • 12-12-2013, 10:25 PM
    ksbryan0
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    My own experience with continuous focus with birds in flight on my D7000 is that success depends on the background. Against the sky it works well. Most of these birds fly fairly low most of the time, though, so you get a mixture of trees, sky, more trees, even buildings in the background, and the bird doesn't stand out well enough for the focus system to follow. It keeps grabbing other features in the viewfinder.

    Doesn't your D7000 allow you to select how quickly it changes objects to track when in continuous auto? I know my better Canons allow several different choices to pick from in the menu, and when I'm on the wrong one, my keeper rate is dismal!
  • 12-13-2013, 08:48 AM
    wfooshee
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Why would single focus pull the subject out of the background better than continuous?

    When you initially hit the shutter you'll have the bird in the selected sensor. As the bird moves across the background, the camera may latch onto something not-bird for a moment, and change the focus.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Doesn't your D7000 allow you to select how quickly it changes objects to track when in continuous auto? I know my better Canons allow several different choices to pick from in the menu, and when I'm on the wrong one, my keeper rate is dismal!

    I actually haven't played with those settings. It seems setting a longer wait time would help prevent refocusing on the background.
  • 01-12-2014, 07:04 AM
    dolina
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Such a difficult thing to do.
  • 09-16-2020, 08:36 AM
    arko2
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Nice one, Jeff!
  • 10-11-2020, 10:34 PM
    harperchelsea144
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Get exclusive support from our well-established experts for your assignments. University assignment help is now comparatively much easier as compared to the past.
  • 10-26-2020, 02:35 AM
    minayang44
    Re: Great Egret BIF
    Are you sure this is a good idea? I think it's flawed