• 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM
    CaraRose
    Re: Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buglinbilly
    Loupey, thanks for taking the time to enlighen people like me. I had know Idea what an extension tube was.

I suppose this is for only marco shooting and can not be used on regular telephoto shots????

Can any tube be used with any lens, or are specific tubes made for or limited to specific lenses. For example can I use the same tube on my 70-300 lens and on my Marco 50mm lens?

Thanks again for the great post. BB

Any canon EF mount extension tubes will work with both of those. The only place you have to be careful is if you have some ef-s lenses, which some tubes don't support.
  • 03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
    Loupey
    buglinbilly, Cara is correct.

Couple things to keep in mind for any given amount of extension:
    1) the shorter the focal length of the main lens, the more magnification you will achieve
    2) the shorter the focal length of the main lens, the closer the subject can be focused
    3) the shorter the focal length of the main lens, the shorter the lens will focus when set at infinity

So as you can see, using tubes with a zoom can be really confusing as changing focal lengths and/or changing the focus ring BOTH greatly affect magnification AND subject distance. But entirely possible and effective. But I recommend using the zoom at one focal length (say 300mm) until you get a handle on how the tubes work.
  • 03-22-2011, 05:47 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buglinbilly
    ...I suppose this is for only marco shooting and can not be used on regular telephoto shots????

This is a great question. The answer is "no" - not just for macro shooting.

For example, when I go on the annual warbler migration trip on the shores of Lake Erie (when the trees literally "drip with warblers") my target range to shoot warblers is 12' to 25' with my 500mm lens. But this lens only focuses down to 15'. So I will often just leave a 20mm or 36mm tube on during the entire day which will allow it to focus down to about 10' but still allow me to focus out to about 25' when focused at "infinity".
  • 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
    Synapse
    This is a very informative tread. I can't say I understand it all, especially if it has a bearing on my current problems but if anyone has answers you guys probably do. I get little info off the Nikonians website. :D

I'm shooting wolves, the Lamar/Blacktail & Agate packs in Yellowstone during the Winter/Spring. I'm getting maybe 7ral in focus shots out of a couple hundred. Each time I return I come with upgrades (eg. heads, stability, TC's etc).

My gear: D300, Gitzo tripod, cable release, Wimberley head v.II, Nikon 500mm f/4 P manual focus w/ TC 1.4x. I think it's more focus than shake problems. Recently found that the infinity "click-stop" can be released so I can focus just either side of infinity, without the click hampering the focus. I'm always shooting at infinity yet infinity is never in focus. I used to have to turn & hold the focus ring right where it wanted to snap back to the infinity stop click. Anyway, I think I will be able to focus better now, the click is eliminated and I can smoothly focus over (to either side) of the infinity mark.

The 500mm with 1.4x TC and the 1.5 crop factor of the D300 sensor gives this combo an effective 1050mm magnification.

I also (yesterday) upgraded to a much heavier Gitzo 410 tripod. Also, just bought a Katz Eye focus screen, yet to receive & instal that. These are 3 big changes I've made but have yet tested.

Basically, the wolves are ~ 1/2mile away, very hard to focus on such a small image in usually overcast, early/late light.

I noted in this thread that the extension tubes alter the focus location? Whatever, I'm wondering, is there a place for these tubes in my long lens technique, in my setup? Do you think they could help me achieve better focus? I've yet to get sharp images.

Of course, I'm hopping the focus screen, heavy tripod, & ability to manually focus the lens without the hindrance of the infinity click/stop will greatly improve my situation. Yet, maybe some elaboration on extension tube use with long lenses (eg. my setup) could help with the problems I'm experiencing. Could I benefit from there use?:rolleyes:

Thanks for any comments-
    Bob :thumbsup:
  • 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Synapse
    ... I noted in this thread that the extension tubes alter the focus location? Whatever, I'm wondering, is there a place for these tubes in my long lens technique, in my setup? Do you think they could help me achieve better focus? I've yet to get sharp images.

Of course, I'm hopping the focus screen, heavy tripod, & ability to manually focus the lens without the hindrance of the infinity click/stop will greatly improve my situation. Yet, maybe some elaboration on extension tube use with long lenses (eg. my setup) could help with the problems I'm experiencing. Could I benefit from there use?:rolleyes:

Thanks for any comments-
    Bob :thumbsup:

The tubes aren't going to help you as they will not allow your combo to shoot anywhere near "infinity".

You've got some nice equipment. I would bet that you're experiencing a lot of camera shake - even on a tripod that is a lot of focal length to manage (especially without stabilization). Do you have a cable release? Can you post some examples (not in this thread but start another).
  • 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
    Synapse
    Thanks for the reply-

Yes, I do use a cable release, yet I notice I have to be very careful with that, the slightest movement of the wire causes shake.

I need to get my current upgrades together & installed, then take some pics to see where I'm at. Not worth showing anything until I do that much. I'll start a thread then-

Thanks again-

Bob
  • 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
    Loupey
    A recent one.
    300mm with 56mm (36mm+20mm) extension on Canon 5DmkII. Subject-to-Camera distance at about 3 feet.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2392/...b7de89c2_b.jpg
  • 06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by loupey View Post
    a recent one.
    300mm with 56mm (36mm+20mm) extension on canon 5dmkii. Subject-to-camera distance at about 3 feet.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2392/...b7de89c2_b.jpg

very nice!!!!!
  • 06-22-2011, 09:12 PM
    AgingEyes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Loupey View Post
    A recent one.
    300mm with 56mm (36mm+20mm) extension on Canon 5DmkII. Subject-to-Camera distance at about 3 feet.

WOW !! Holy **** !! How the hell you could do this...with extension tubes, too !!!?

Very nice background to boot !

Big Congrats, Loupey !

Oh, manual focus again ?
  • 06-24-2011, 07:18 AM
    Loupey
    Thanks, paulnj and AgingEyes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgingEyes View Post
    ...Oh, manual focus again ?

Guilty as charged, sir!
    Although I have started using AF more recently. I used the AF for the first time on my 500mm this spring on some of those warbler shots. Gotta admit it was handy.

But for in-flight stuff and macros, I still go with MF.
  • 08-22-2011, 10:33 PM
    la wedding photographer
    Wow what a nice series of picture. So great to look at,very clear,every details is so so perfect. Love it!
  • 12-15-2011, 10:18 PM
    orange999
    Congrats, very cool...
  • 03-23-2012, 12:14 PM
    LPLIV
    Who makes good aftermarket extension tubes for a Nikon D7000 that allows the AF and metering to work? I am always wary of using an aftermarket product that links well with the camera's electronics. I have a Tamaron tele that works pretty well but had some idiosyncracies that took awhile to learn... Love the lens but would rather have a Nikon.. I also have a vivitar flash dedicated to Nikon cameras that works pretty well in auto but won't work as well in any other of the three modes.... Should have bought a Nikon but didn't want to spend the money....

Thanks for your input....

Phil
  • 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM
    jackwember
    Re: With a 70-200mm Zoom
    All the pictures which are shown above are awesome and beautiful. Thanks for sharing this beautiful pictures over here.
  • 12-31-2014, 08:15 PM
    sajibahmed
    2 Attachment(s)
    Re: Final Word
  • 01-13-2015, 10:16 PM
    sajibahmed
    Re: With a 70-200mm Zoom
    thank you for the comment.
  • 01-14-2015, 09:19 PM
    John2015
    Re: Final Word
    Nice pictures..