Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

A desert hairy scorpion, a white box and 15 minutes (pics)

> >
    Lately I have been lamenting the lack of critters available to me to photograph at this time of the year. Well I am happy to say that the problem has been resolved—for the time being at least. Last week I took possession of 19 new “pets” including three new species of scorpions, two species of tarantulas, and one centipede. One might jump to the conclusion that I used the dearth of photographic subjects as an excuse to buy some interesting critters (and one would be right). >>
    > >
    Last night I finally managed to find a whole 15 minutes to do a shoot, so I quickly set-up my white box and took these pictures of one of my new critters: a lovely adult female desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). Here are a couple of photos from the series I posted on my blog.>>
    > >
    Cheers,>>
    EC>>
    www.macrocritters.wordpress.com>>
    > >
    desert hairy scorpion 7 copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr>>
    > >
    desert hairy scorpion 6 copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr>>

Re: A desert hairy scorpion, a white box and 15 minutes (pics)

These are very nice. Are you using focus stacking? I would think it would be hard with something that might move on you.

Re: A desert hairy scorpion, a white box and 15 minutes (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1958 View Post
    These are very nice. Are you using focus stacking? I would think it would be hard with something that might move on you.
    Thank you. No, not photo stacking. These scorpions are really quite big (the largest species in N. America). This specimen is about 3 inches long not counting the tail. I shot these photos at F16, so there was plenty of depth of field.

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters

Thread Information