Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex

After numerous references to Magee Marsh by local Audubon members and recommendation by our PaulNJ, I took a two day trip earlier this week. This 2000-acre park, just off the shores of Lake Erie, is a major stop-over point for migrating birds. The warblers in particular are of great interest by birders from all over.

According to the Friends of Magee Marsh, this location was rated as the 9th best birding location in N.A. by Wild Bird Magazine.

The warblers are concentrated in the wooded 7-acre section of the park which is criss-crossed with a boardwalk. There are no feeders and no blinds so all viewing is accomplished by chance sightings. Photography is difficult as the boardwalk serves as the only shooting location. Patience and stealth and luck rule the day. Very few people were there (about a dozen people on the boardwalk at any given time). People walking in slow motion, hardly with any words spoken, binoculars and cameras hanging over virtually everyone's shoulder. It was a very enjoyable experience.

First my warbler shots. I saw three species: Yellow-Rumped, Yellow, and Palm. Tough to photograph! Little buggers don't like to perch nearby nor out in the open. The yellow-rumped where quite numerous. I saw only a handful of palms and only two male yellows.

Although still early in the season, I've never seen warblers like this. In fact, I've only seen warblers (singly) on only 3 or 4 previous occasions. This was my first real birding trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-warblers-1.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-warblers-2.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-warblers-3.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-warblers-4.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex

God i would have loved to be with you on that trip loupey. very nice series i love them all , but number one is my favorite i figure that next year im gonna make it to Point Pelee next year if everything goes good on the home front
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Thanks, Knight. From everything that I've heard and read, the warblers should be around for another 2 or 3 weeks. But with the trees really greening up, visibility is going to be a big problem.

Hope to take the family up there a couple times before it's all over.

Crazy part is, Magee Marsh is about 17 miles from where I've been hauling my boats 3 hours north from home to launch for the last 10 years. Some things are right under one's nose sometimes.

See my website HERE.

Of course there were a lot of other bird species - many of which are new to me.

Naturally, the all-too-common red-winged blackbirds were everywhere like unwelcomed house guests. Their calls too often heard over the more faint target birds.

1) a wren of some kind (house or winter?) - tiny bird
    2) a trush of some kind (wood or gray-cheeked?) - very common
    3) gray-blue gnatcatcher
    4) Eastern Towhee
    5) Trumpeter Swan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-birds-1.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-birds-2.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-birds-3.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-birds-4.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-birds-5.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Some non-feathered critters.

The two snapping turtle images are of the same juvenile (about an 8" shell length) which was simply basking off the side of the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-others-1.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-others-2.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-others-3.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-others-4.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-others-5.jpg  

See my website HERE.

So while I'm shooting the deer against the cooling tower shot (these images are not in chronological order btw), I look down and notice that two moss covered boulders in the water are moving.

OK, I'm not so sure they were mating. Perhaps two males in a territorial dispute. But it sure looked like the former to me.

While viewing these, play any Barry White tune in your head. That crazy smirk is what I must have had on my face while shooting these

These are quick post-processing work - I haven't had a chance to normalize the colors and contrasts to get the images to look similar as they should for a series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-1-1.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-1-2.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-1-3.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-1-4.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-1-5.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Beautiful shots Loupey. I particularly like that one of the rabbit, good eye to spot him.

Your description of the area sounds much like the nature reserve I often visit, boardwalks and trails with no hides so that getting shots is a matter of moving quietly and listening carefully. Looks like you had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott-devon
    . Looks like you had a great time.
    Looks like the turtles had a great time, maybe even a shell of a good time

great photos as always, Loupey
    Karen
    Calif.
    Oly-ef370 12/08
    Oly- Evolt 510 01/08
    Sony h-5 10/06

Karen - good one! Thanks for looking

scott-devon - the rabbit was hidden quite well. I was standing for a long time in one spot watching the warblers about 30' away. After a while, I noticed that small white patch under a thicket which was only about 15' away. Tough to see anything when they aren't moving.

Here is a shot down the boardwalk. Taken while I was sitting down trying to find a clear shot to the mating turtles. I was sitting, laying, or standing on the lower rung of the fence. Difficult when the subjects are behind branches and float away
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-boardwalk.jpg  

See my website HERE.

so thats what you meant when you were going out of town! haha, that sounded like an amazing trip for you! I love the trumpeter swan, the white is so beautiful!
    Canon Rebel 400D

Stock 18-55mm
    Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Macro Lens
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Canon 50mm f/1.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorhuang20/

Victor - you got it! Actually I had planned to go up to the Toledo area to get some fishing in for a few days (annual walleye run) for some much needed R-and-R. But the weather was too nice and the fishing was too poor so I ended up mostly at the marsh.

Thanks for looking.

See my website HERE.

Another "hidden subject" shot.

Can you find it? I didn't at first. Even with a couple friendly locals trying to point him out to me, I still had a hard time finding it.

I blame it on their much more powerful binoculars and the fact that it could be seen clearly from only one spot - the spot they were standing in

This is an uncropped 600mm (300mm + 2x) shot. Incidentally, many of the serious shooters had Canons and all but one other person besides me had 100-400mm lenses. The "other" person had what looked like a 500mm. The 100-400mm must be the local favorite. FWIW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-hidden.jpg  

See my website HERE.

So right after shooting the mating turtles, I see this scene as I'm driving out.

Popped the truck into park, jumped out, and stood there shooting with the engine running and door flung open. Did I mention that there were few people there?

Perhaps this one was going to see what all the fuss was about across the street. Looking to join in possibly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-crossing.jpg  

See my website HERE.

i hope that turtle ate the goose....not, but that would be an interesting shot. I also like the turtle series, especially the turtle with his/her hand up, hilarious!
    Canon Rebel 400D

Stock 18-55mm
    Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Macro Lens
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Canon 50mm f/1.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorhuang20/

That was an enjoyable series with some super shots. I wish I could have been there with you. It looks like you had a great time and got to see quite a variety of wildlife. I have to admit, it took me awhile to find the rabbit, but the owl was much easier.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Mike - thanks for looking and commenting.

Victor - thanks again.

If you all are wondering how the turtle sex progressed, I'll leave you with these last images and you can judge for yourselves.

But if you ask me, I think it must have went well :blush2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-2-1.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-2-2.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-2-3.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-2-4.jpg   Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-magee-marsh-snappers-2-5.jpg  

See my website HERE.

So you finally saw your owl. Congrats!!

Nice trip you had there, Loupey. Great shots! Looks like that place has tons of potential. Looking forward to more of your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Another "hidden subject" shot.

Can you find it? I didn't at first. Even with a couple friendly locals trying to point him out to me, I still had a hard time finding it.

I blame it on their much more powerful binoculars and the fact that it could be seen clearly from only one spot - the spot they were standing in

This is an uncropped 600mm (300mm + 2x) shot. Incidentally, many of the serious shooters had Canons and all but one other person besides me had 100-400mm lenses. The "other" person had what looked like a 500mm. The 100-400mm must be the local favorite. FWIW.

AgingEyes - it sure was my first owl sighting for this year! Weird timing too because yesterday my aunt sent us data on a beautiful owl that they have seen a few times within 20 miles of home. If he is as regular and accessible as she claims, I should be able to get some nice pixs. Will keep you advised.

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

See my website HERE.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

That's a house wren(very odd coloring) and I do believe that's a hermit thrush. Thushes are best ID by sound when it comes to grey cheek, bicknells and hermits, but seeing one in person can rule out the hermit by size.

Nice screech owl!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

BTW, 2 weeks and that place will be teaming with birds, birders, photogs and videographers. Go back then(very early) after a storm and find 20 species of warblers
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Paul, thanks again for all your advice my friend.

The warblers (and birding in general) are definitely addictive. Tough to find, tough to shoot, and beautiful when captured. What else can you ask for?

I plan to make it up there as many times as possible during the next two weeks.

See my website HERE.

CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Paul - thanks for the links! You know to me (and my untrained eyes) those first 4 links look to be the same bird

The wife and I are trying to find a way to go up there tomorrow and Sunday. I'm sure I'll have some new sightings (for me anyway) to have you ID if we make it up there.

In the meantime, the little Brown truck made a special delivery at my office recently. I guess I'll take that with me if we go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magee Marsh and Turtle Sex-new-toy.jpg  

See my website HERE.

get a monopod and a 1.4tc and your in business for stalking warblers! Those 500's are amazing !

I had 8 species of warbler today in a yard I worked in . They were obviously from last nights flight, so they are moving quite well with this weather!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Great shots! Which turtle was the male?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information