Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

50mm f/1.4 Test Images

Some early images with the 50f1.4.

As I mentioned in one of my other threads, the little sister lens (50mm f/1.8) is a great value but has some serious shortcomings for shooting macros. But what can you expect for $80.

So I picked up the f/1.4 version the other day. I thought long and hard about the f/1.2L version but decided against it. Some preliminary tests with the 50mm f/1.4 are pretty promising. Wide open at f/1.4, the images very close to that of the f/1.8 stopped down to f/2.8. The bokeh is much better with the f/1.4 version as is the construction and operation. The focus ring, although still too narrow and loose for my taste, turns nearly 200 degrees instead of the roughly 80 degrees of the f/1.8 version - making for better accuracy manual focusing.

What surprised me is that the f/1.4 does not improve in leaps and bounds as you stop down unlike the f/1.8 sibling. So by around f/5.6 or f/8, both lenses look very similar.

So the bottom line: is the f/1.4 worth the $320? Depends - that's why there are 3 versions of the 50mm For me and what I shoot and how I shoot it, it probably will. Still more testing to do.

The first image here at wide open f/1.4. Notice the bokeh. Love being able to get such narrow DOF when I want to without sacrificing too much in way of resolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-06-07-test-1.jpg   50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-06-07-test-2.jpg   50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-06-07-test-3.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: 50mm f/1.4 Test Images

and a few more.

The last three with 12mm extension tube. The last one is the same "seed pod" that is in the Decay thread. Compare this handheld shot with the extension tube with that one which was shot with the 180mm macro.

I know it's nearly impossible to judge a lens' performance at this size and resolution. But I'll try to keep you posted on any future results.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-07-07-test-image-.jpg   50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-07-07-test-image-b.jpg   50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-07-07-test-image-c.jpg   50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-07-07-test-image-d.jpg   50mm f/1.4 Test Images-11-07-07-test-image-e.jpg  

Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: 50mm f/1.4 Test Images

Informative post, loupey.Congratulations to you for your powerful equipment and testing shot. ! Expecting more..

Thread Information