Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Help, I dont know . . . . . . . .

Okay, here I go, i am trying to start a, i dont know how to put it, a dark room but do not know the exact materials-products i need, if some one could just tell me the main things i need for a dark room,it would be fantastico, not to worry, im going to take a class so i know what im doing when i make it, but do not know where to start and if some one knows can i get a general price range, i already have the space, just need the stuff

PLEASE HELP ME

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help, I dont know . . . . . . . .

Welcome to the forum! Here is a basic list of what your darkroom should have. I'm assuming you are planning on using it for b&w, color gets a bit more complicated, and expensive.

For developing film you will need either a totaly dark room or a changing bag and a developing tank. Once the film is in the light tight tank, you can move to the kitchen, bathroom or someplace with a sink. Chemisty for the film will consist of developer, stop bath (optional), fixer and fixer remover. A drying agent such as Photo-flo will help the film to dry without streeks and water marks. I belive distilled water will do the same thing. Graduates to measure your chemistry, thermometer to monitor temps, a clock of some sort to time each step. Clips to hang the film to dry, closepins will work. Put one on the bottom to keep the film from curling also.

To make prints you will need photo paper, and enlarger, developing trays, and tongs. For chemistry you will need paper developer, stop bath, and fixer. Running water is a plus for washing the prints. A safelight is a must also for making prints.

This is a pretty basic list but it should get you started. There are a ton of people out there that no longer use their darkroom equipment and you should be able to get everything you need used for a reasonable price.

Good luck and again, welcome to PR!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I almost forgot... you will need some containers for mixing and storing your chemistry. You will want these to be light tight as well.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Agree - used is the way to go whenever possible here. For starters, you could just try developing the film yourself - most of the equipment and space is needed for print making. I use a changing bag to load the canister, and there's not a lot of equipment involved. I have a lab make my prints or scan the negs.

Wow, for two and a half years I've had boxes of hubby's darkroom stuff stacked in a room in my newly built house that is supposed to get finished as a darkroom. How I wish I could box it all up and send it off to you so I can have a sewing room instead. (Selling it probably wouldn't cover the cost of the divorce that would no doubt follow.)
    *Does anyone ever hear "This is wonderful food, you must have a great pan!"?

Try plugging "complete darkroom" into Ebay. (now when will hubby next be out of town.....)

Actually, it'll be pretty rare to find "complete darkroom" in a title. But check this link to eBay's Photo categories list:

http://photography.ebay.com/_W0QQssp...ZMOPS5Q3aHPH01

You'll find a category labeled Film Processing & Darkroom Equipment - which has about a dozen subcategories for the various equipment types. Browse around there and see what catches your eye - then you can do searches for specific items, for a 'more focused picture' of things.

you dont need tongs
    your hands will do the job.

Just get some ventillation (important)

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    you dont need tongs
    your hands will do the job.

Just get some ventillation (important)

I don't use tongs either but thought I would throw it on the list anyway. I bought rubber gloves to use instead of the tongs, but I don't use those either. My hands get pretty dry from the process, but nothing some lotion can't take care of.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

My husbandsays he uses a different set of tongs for each tray of chemicals to prevent polluting chemical trays in backward succession. Moving the paper forward in succession is not a problem but you don't want to dilute the effectiveness of each step by moving the chemicals from the final step into the beginning trays. Of course this isn't much of a problem for 3 or 4 photos, but if you are processing 20 - 30 sheets at a time it is more so. Plus, how much chemical do you really need to absorb into your skin anyway?

well...if you must use tongs...please use good ones. I have had cheap tongs melt half way and leave a plastic residue on my prints.

Thread Information