Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

where to get photos printed

i was just wondering where do you guys go to get your photos printed

Re: where to get photos printed

Quote Originally Posted by sakbarzad
    i was just wondering where do you guys go to get your photos printed
    www.mpix.com Does a great job.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'll second mpix. I have used them many many times, and their print quality is top notch, and their packaging is great. You can email them and they will send you free paper samples.

I have also used www.adoramapix.com with very good results. I use mpix for wedding proofs, because they are cheaper than mpix, and the quality is still pretty good. I have only ordered their standard paper, which is kodak Royal Gold I think. Mpix's standard paper is Kodak E-surface. Adorama also offers the E-surface as their premium paper, but they are more $. I'm not sure how much more tho. Mpix has a better selection of products, such as matting, and framing, as well as specialty items like cards, calendars, coffee mugs and that sort of thing, were as adorama is just prints.

Both mpix and adorama give you the option to print strait from your files, or they will color correct them for you. I don't have a calibrated work flow, so I let them color correct my photos (I don't notice much of a difference in the prints than what I see on my computer) and I have always been happy with the results. Both mpix, and adorama have flat rate shipping. $4.95 if you order 1 print, or if you order 500.

Those are my 2 top choices for prints that I plan on doing something important with, such as proofs, or something I want to frame or add to a portfolio.

When it comes to printing "snapshots" or something that isn't as important, I will use a company like www.snapfish.com, or www.shutterfly.com. Their prices are hard to beat, but there are some downsides. For one, their packaging is pretty minimal. Basically a paper envelope like you would get when you pick up your film at the local drug store. The paper isn't as nice, or thick either, but depending on the use of the photo, that might not be important to you. I don't think they give the option of printing straight from the file, or color correcting it, but it's been a while since I have used them so you should check on that yourself.

Bottom line, for top quality, I go with www.mpix.com, then next on my list is www.adoramapix.com. For less important things, www.shutterfly.com, or www.snapfish.com.

Don't be afraid to try local printing places too. You might be surprised at how good the prints you get from the local grocery store are.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I also like MPix's metallic paper for landscapes and such. It gives the image extra 'pop' with an ilfochrome look.

For everyday images I use shutterfly. They are good because they always have special deals going on. I just got an 11x14 for free a couple of weeks ago. It's only matte paper for their larger prints, but there's no better deal than free.

I haven't gone to a photo lab since I got my first photo printer. I'm upgraded from the Epson 740i to a C-80, then to my current photo printer the Epson R-2400. And depending on my printing about $140 in ink quarterly. You can't tell my prints from the labs.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

If there is a Costco around your area, you can get decent 12 x 18's for $2.97.

Yes. $3.
    Louis An Photography

--Canon Rebel XTi
    --18-55 mm EF
    --75-300 mm EF
    --10-17 mm fisheye
    --Adobe Photoshop CS3
    --Photomatix Pro

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i use winkflash for so-so stuff ($1 shipping, no color correction) and my printer (R1800) for 5x7s and bigger.

Just tried www.adoramapix.com for the first time. Had some 5x7's and 8x10's done up. Came out great. I had them color correct my shots and they came out just a hair warmer than I had them set-up. Just something you may want to keep in mind. Next time I'm going to opt to not have them correct my shots just for comparison. The b&w's though came out AWESOME. Going to have some more done up this week
    Last edited by Xia_Ke; 03-27-2007 at 04:50 PM.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

www.mpix.com just came out with $0.19 4x6 prints. To get this price, you have to check or uncheck (don't remember what it defalts to) the box that says you DON'T want mpix to color correct the images. Check out their site for more info if you're interested.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

For small prints, 5x7, 4x6 or wallet size, I upload the pictures I want printed to Walgreens' web photo site and have them printed at the closest Walgreens (19 cents for a 4x6). This works really well for batches to send to relatives, family albums, etc. They print on Fuji Crystal Archive paper and the colors are very good. I really like the wallet size option for my baby pictures.

For small batch 4x6 prints I have a Canon small printer that does only 4x6 prints and uses a dye sublimation process with a clear plastic coat on top to protect the print. Very, very good prints result, and they are pre-printed as post cards for easy mailing.

For anything larger, I use my Canon 9100 printer or I have them printed at Perfectposters.com

I agree that Walgreen's here does a very good job too. I use them for 8x10's upload them and they are waiting on me when I get there.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

thanx for the info guys

Thread Information