• 09-12-2011, 08:28 AM
    n8
    what's it called and how do I clean it?
    We all face this issue, dust and lint on the little screen above the mirror that displays our af points and all that, but I can't for the life of me think of what it's actually called. I've become very frustrated with not being able to get it clean however, as some pieces of whatever seem very committed to staying on there. I currently use a combo of my hand blower, canned air, and a microfiber cloth and brush, but no matter what, it stays put (it does move, so it's not a scratch).
  • 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
    mjs1973
    Re: what's it called and how do I clean it?
    That is called the focusing screen. I have had good luck using a rocket blower, but it sounds like thats not working for you... I have read that the focusing screen can be scratched very easily so I would be hesitant to continue trying to use the microfiber cloth. If the air isn't removing it, you may need to take it to someone to have it cleaned.
  • 09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
    freygr
    Can you see it on the focusing screen? If not the object could be at the eye piece, between the lens and the pentaprism, and to get that cleaned it needs to be disassembled.
  • 09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
    n8
    Microfiber can scratch huh? Good to know. The rocket blower does ok, but perhaps I'll just have my local shop take care of it.
    I would sure hope it wouldn't be in the eye piece...it's too new of a camera for stuff like that to be getting I'd think.
  • 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    Microfiber can scratch huh?

That I don't know for sure. I just remember reading somewhere that the focusing screen was very easy to scratch. For something like that I would be extra careful and avoid touching it if possible.
  • 09-13-2011, 05:14 AM
    Anbesol
    The microfiber itself certainly can't scratch, but it can press and move something else, like a piece of dust, which theoretically could scratch. I've had a piece of dust on my focusing screen for a while now, I named it Lenny, he's okay and he doesn't bother me or interrupt me while I'm shooting.... lol

Seriously though n8, is it causing any problems to you other than just being there? Maybe don't even worry about it.
  • 09-13-2011, 05:50 AM
    n8
    No real problems...just annoying. I like a clean screen. Thanks for the the help.
  • 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM
    MuskratPhoto
    Very good information! I'll have to remember that next time I cleaning the camera
  • 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
    n8
    Just to pass on to others...I haven't done this (yet) but the guys at the camera shop I frequent recommended using a piece of scotch tape.