Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Best Lens for Shooting a Dance Recital?

Going to be shooting my wife's dance recital this year. I will have the Nikon D7000 or the D5100. Would it be better to have a fixed focal lens with a low f-stop like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S or the Nikon 135mm f/2D AF DC or to have a telephoto lens like the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR II.
    I will have the Stock lens that comes with the camera already.
    Last edited by cbear; 05-06-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Re: What to get?

The difference between the two cameras is the enhanced functions and lower noise ICs used in the assembly plus the firmware extras. As far as the lens being better if both had Nikon lenses in the kit image wise there telling tall tales.

Lighting sucks for inside venues, and horse arenas you just need a body which has noise free high ISO setting and a fast lens F2.8 or faster F stop. Plan on $400 to $1500 for the lens $400 is the starting range for non-Nikon lens or a Nikon prime at the $1500 range is getting were VR is available. The reason for fast lens and high ISO is the fast shutter speeds required to stop motion.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

n8

Re: Best Lens for Shooting a Dance Recital?

The first thing that jumps out to me is that you're referencing using canon glass on a nikon body...that won't work...just in case I'm reading that right. However, Nikon does have it's equivalents, like the 50mm 1.8 D (won't work on the 5100 though), or the 70-200 2.8. I would strongly suggest the latter for what you need if you can afford it. Another similar option may be the 17-55 2.8, which is also pricey, but a good lens. Quite frankly though, if you get the d7000 or d5100, it's going to come with a 18-105mm, which will be pretty good, especially considering the low light performance (at least the d7000 has).
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Corrected it. I was copy and pasting off of a lens rental site.
    I am not going to buy the nicer lenses initially but instead rent them. I will be purchasing a 50mm fixed in the next month, but will be holding off on the $1000 plus lens for a little while. Asking which lens I should rent. I am not opposed to renting multiple lenses to figure out which ones would benefit me the most.
    And unfortunately the D7000 comes with the 18-105 lens, whereas the D5100 comes with the 18-55 lens.

This is a very nice info since I'm also planning to shoot a dance recital..

Thread Information